Can old Fujinon lens be used on any modern Digital SLR?

Sure, those lenses have the M42 or "Contax" universal thread mount.

The most obvious choice would be any of the Pentax cameras, with the Pentax K-mount to M42 adapter.

There are M42 adapters for Canon DSLRs as well.

Realize that you will not have auto-diaphragm at all. If the lens doesn't have any facility to stop down manually, you may only be able to use the lenses at their widest aperture. Also, depending on the camera model, light metering may be crippled or non-existent.

You also need to consider issues with the aperture coupling pins on the Fujinon lenses. In some applications, they get caught.

Yes, it will work with just about any dslr with an adapter, with all the limitations listed above.

I've always wanted to see a company (Cosina!) come out with a generic digital body with interchangeable mounts (Nikon F, Canon FD, Konica, m42, etc.) that people could use their old manual focus lenses on. Kind of an adaptall body, I guess.

Thank you both very much for your responses.

I've decided to move from "point and shoot" land into the more serious world now since I've inherited this Fujica ST605. The camera came with a Fujinon 55 mm 1:2.2 lens, an AUTO CHINON 200mm 1:3.5 lens, and an AUTO CHINON 28mm 1:2.8 lens. I also have a Canon EOS Rebel S that is out of commission, so there is a zoom lens that goes with that. Sounds like a Canon DSLR might be a good choice to support all of the lenses I've managed to accumulate.

I have a unique opportunity to photograph at a wading bird rookery at dawn in a couple of weeks, so I was trying to decide if I should take the Fujica with me and use the Chinon telephoto lens. It still seems to take good photos. I think my next purchase had better be a tripod.

I will have to research stop down metering and see how you do it and if the lenses will support it before I go DSLR shopping.

Thanks again for your help!!

Fujifilm's Fujinon lens has high optical quality and some are collector items. Note: Sorry, not your 55mm/2.2 kit lens. Their EBC coating are also an advanced multi-coated formula. If you plan to use the 55/2.2, get one with a lip at the edge of the mount that can press the aperture pins.Unlike Pentax M42 lens, Fujinon lens has no auto/man switch. If your adapter doesn't press the aperture pin, you will have no means to change aperture. Your two Chinon lens are more like Pentax's lens. you just need to set the lens switch to M or manual.

Note: Newer Fujinon lens (not your old 55/2.2 nor Chinon) also has a aperture index at the botton on the aperture ring. You need to grind that away before if can fit to modern DSLR. It doesn't apply to you.

M42 can also be adapted without issues to Pentax <abbr title="digital single-lens reflex cameras">dSLRs</abbr> (after all, Pentax supported the M42 screw mount for a long time). I guess there is also an M42 adapter for Olympus' 4/3rd system.

A friend of mine recently bought a Pentax DSLR. Don't ask me the model number, 'cause I don't remember. Nice camera though. Anti-shake is built into the body, so it works with any lens you can mount on it. It uses the K mount, for which there are lots of lenses available. M42 mount lenses are easily adaptable to K mounts. Metering works, subject to some limitations, with just about any lens you can fit onto it. It makes some darned fine pictures. I'm impressed, and I'm not easily impressed by gadgetry. The people at Pentax have done their homework yet again, and don't get enough attention for their efforts. If I were doing this all over again, I'd reconsider and give them a hard look.

Rob, to your point, I do indeed plan to just use the Fujica for the bird rookery. I'm not going jump into the DSLR purchase just yet without some more research. I ordered a tripod last night, so armed with that and the trusty Fujica, I hope to get some good shots.

I will check out the m42 2x teleconverter. More reach at the rookery would probably be very handy. The wood storks and spoon bills are at the tops of some rather tall trees. Thanks for the suggestion!

Having all of these lenses got me thinking that it would be nice to find a DSLR body that would work for them, hence my original posting.

Frank, thanks for the Pentax suggestion.

Patrick, I discovered the 420 in my searches last night, and it really does look very impressive. I'm also looking at the Olympus E-510 because it has the in-body image stabilization.

This is a great forum - I really appreciate everyone's input.

Andrea,

Tommy's remark about the aperture index cam is important, if you have the Fujinon ST mount lenses. If you try to tighten one of these on your DSLR adapter, you may damage the lens, the adapter, or both, and you will not be able to change the lens aperture. Tommy is right about having to grind it off, although to me that would be a harsh compromise, since you won't be able to use it as intended on the later Fujica SLRs. But I guess you have nothing really to lose with your inexpensive 55mm. . . .(I would never grind off the tab on a rare or unusual ST mt. lens.)

A couple of years ago, I did a work-around on this issue with a Mamiya SX lens, which has a similar indexing cam. I ordered several large size brass washers, and in combination with the M42 adapter I was able to use the lens and retain effective (if not absolute) infinity focus, on a Canon DSLR.

Good luck. . . you can have a lot of fun with old lenses on a DSLR!