Nikon 18-35 AF 3.5-4.5

george_mazzetti1

I will back up Jim - the 18-35 is a ridiculous value unless you absolutely need the 2.8 of the 17-35 (in which case you might also want to consider the 14-24 if you don't need the 25-35mm part or filters).

I used the lens all the time when I was shooting film, and now find it great for IR as well on my converted D50. It doesn't produce a hot spot. I love the lens, truly.

George I once tested one copy of this lens against the 12-24 Nikkor , the 20mm f2.8 AFD and the 24mm f2.8 AIS (on a D70).

Stopped down to 5.6 or 8 this lens performs very well and is almost as good as the 12-24 or the primes. The 12-24 is visibly better at its sweet spot, 24mm. The better end of the 18-35 is the 35mm end but at 18 it is still fine. The 12-24 is visibly better in contrast and colors especially if shot wide open.

AF speed was OK and I suppose fast enough for anything (except very fast action) since it is a wide angle.

The mechanics look very solid given the price, certainly less good than the pro lenses but way better than recent consumer lenses.

As mentioned above prices for used are low and you cannot go wrong.A good walk around lens because it is fairly small and light.