paint.net v/s photoshop

Never used it, but it looks ok. The Gimp is free too and it pretty close to PS in some respects. Do you need Photoshop. No, not really. there are other viable options. Since this one is free, what's the harm of trying it? it's PC only, I'm on my Mac, so I can't try it.

Paint.net is pretty primitive, compared to current versions of Photoshop or Photoshop Elements. However, whatever you learn using Paint.net can be applied to Photoshop. If I were in your shoes (which is where I was 7 years ago), I'd get Photoshop Elements, which will probably carry you for quite a while and is not very expensive. You get 80% of Photoshop for less than 20% of the price.

I downloaded The Gimp, windows version, a few months ago and installed it. About 2 1/2 weeks later a worm was attacking my restore files and the root source for the worm was The Gimp. The worm source file was part of the origional download with the correct Gimp version signing. The Gimp exists no more on my machine.

Unfortunately, SourceForge is not the only place from which you can download Gimp. It's the only place you probably SHOULD download open source products as there are a lot of places where you can get these products whse quality control may not be as rigorous as we would like.

Personally, I didn't like Gimp. I found its user interface to be different enough from the rest of the Photo editors that I found using it stressful.

If you want a free Photoshop work-alike, I've found Serif's PhotoPlus6 to be quite good. It's user interface is close enough to PS that I think a reasonably intelligent person can use photohsop tutorials to learn from.

http://www.freeserifsoftware.com/software/PhotoPlus/default.asp