exposure latitude of slide film when cross processing

X processing usually requires over-exposure of 1-2 stops. It's still necessary to nail exposure for best results. C41 chemistry doesn't magically widen E6 latitude.X processing necessarily involves experimentation with films and exposure to get the look you're after.

In my trials with cross processing I can only say that box speed is the one for exposure, do not overexpose. And C41 processing gives films a very wide latitude including E6 films cross processed. Other may disagree but I talk from my experience. I am led to believe that there is no fundamental difference between an E6 and a C41 film other than the application of the orange mask which allows easier printing.

I would agree with you to some extent. In most cases when I am crossing most e-6 films in c-41 I will generally run with the box speed and process normally. I can't always say the same for doing the opposite--color negative film in e-6. In many cases the best results came with some over exposure and even pushing in the process. These variations can also vary results in terms of contrast, color balance, etc. As an example, I used to love to cross Kodak's VPS in e-6. I would rate it at an EI from 25 to 50 and push 1-2 stops. I loved that stuff. All depends on your taste and technique I suppose.

Kodak Ektachromes like over-exposure of at least 1 stop. ISO 100 ratings typically produced murky results for X processing at my lab.No experience with Fuji materials but I've never liked Kodak E6 in C41 at box speed. X processing isn't a science and does produce inconsistent results which can please and frustrate.

Color transparencies have plenty of exposure latitude. People think otherwise because they area positive process, and because few people bother to expose them with much forethought, or to develop them any way other than with a straight E-6 process. They work just like a neg, but in reverse.

For cross processing, your exposure latitude is wacky along with everything else. You just have to experiment for yourself and find what works. Stick to one film, and start with normal rating and normal development.

keith