Equestrian Horse photos using a Blad

alan_higgins

You need to learn those characteristics that distinguish a fine horse in order to portray them. Beyond that, you need to present the horse with good posture, foot and head position. A good "pose" can be fleeting, so good timing is essential and a motor drive might help. Use a good tripod so you can pay attention to your subject. A small fill flash brings out the sheen in the coat.

Oh, the Hasselblad - wind, focus and push the button when ready.

Make sure you're comfortable around horses before even thinking about photographing

them. And, if possible, spend some time with them so they can become comfortable with

you. Never put yourself in a small confined area with a horse which could become

dangerous if you have no exit plan. Even the most friendly horse can be spooked by some

insignificant noise, shadow, movement or something they see in the corner of their eye.

Oh yeah, here is a photo of our horse I shoot with a Hasselblad handheld.<div>00Ov98-42512984.jpg.33ab39b784d59cc4b973941c64fe0b55.jpg</div>

Sorry, but I find the horse photos on www.keithcarterphotographs.com kinda' underwhelming. The weak composition is matched only by the poor technique. Are you sure he uses an Hasselblad and not another camera starting with "H"? Maybe you should write a book, John.

Hi there Alan Here

Thanks for getting back to me. I have recently photographed some horses and the shots cam out ok - some better than others. What I am looking for is how to set up the shots ears forward etc. i can find plenty of photographs, but am not sure how to take control etc which is why I am looking for help

Alan

My experience with horses is that the ears are more often flattened back on their heads rather than pointed forward.

I would avoid flash.

I have used both my hasselblad and a cannon eos 5d photographing hunter/jumper shows and lessons. I have not found motor drive (is it really a motor drive on a digital camera when there is no film to drive?) on the cannon of be of much help here. Basically, if you rely on a motor drive you are almost certainly going to miss the proper moment. I found myself seeming to always get a picture just a little early followed by a picture just a little late. Using my own judgment I at least occasionally timed it right.

I have also found that it is actually easier to shoot pictures of horses jumping than of them doing flat work. The reason for this is that I find the position of the feet and legs to be critical in pictures of horses and they are more predictable when jumping than when cantering, trotting, etc.

In the hunter/jumper show ring I prefocus on the next jump so that when the horse gets there the camera is ready. I have found that on the hasselblad a prism finder helps me when the subject is moving. But this is just because I don't use the waist level finder for moving subjects enough to get used to the image reversal.

You might want to seek the assitance of the horses owner or rider.

A carrot offered just out of frame is likely to result in the horse having its ears forward and looking alert.

Or for that matter, maybe you want a picture of the owner/rider feeding the horse a treat.

Horses are simply cattle with cachet.

To get their feet together and their ears forward you need a helper - generally their owner. These are POSED shots.

You lead the horse up to the desired spot and then you use your foot to nudge their feet into the position that you want. Or you lift and place their feet. Once they are posed someone goes out ahead of them and whistles or moves to attract their attention and therefore get their ears forward.

You may have a small platform covered with artificial grass onto which you put their front feet to get a more "upstanding" pose. Tricks of the trade.

Go to a cattle or horse show and watch the professional photographers at work. It's a sight to behold.

Do not ask me how I know this....

Regards

Mike

Anyone with experience in the grooming and horsemanship category at shows can routinely get a horse to do this. Find some trainer to show you how--once you 'get' it, you'll be able to do it consistently. Movement or a soft whistle will get the horse to listen closely with both ears.

My wife is a fairly high level (Prix St. George) Dressage trainer / competitor. We have one grand daughter who shows Jr. Hunter / Jumper and another who shows beginner Western. So I see a lot of horses and end up stopping by a lot of horse shows. I occasionally photograph horses and/or riders.

There is one standard equestrian shot. Almost always done with a DSLR and 80-200 zoom racked out all the way. Always done in the show ring. Always as different as a row of police department mug shots. Avoid anything similar to this shot like the plague.

Get a "horse person" to do all the horse work for you. Horses are big, strong and have a irrationality that we cannot relate to. This is not the part for horse amateurs like us.

Then decide if you want to make photographs for horse people or for those who appreciate art. I see very little overlap in all my wifes horse books and magazines.

If you want to photograph for horse people, you must become knowledgeable about horses and become a horse lover. Nothing else will do. I have been generally unsuccessful at making photos that really wow horse people.

If you want to photograph horses for those who appreciate art, apply your artistic skills in that setting. It's all transferable. I've been reasonably successful at this, having won some minor awards for my equestrian photography.

Now none of this has anything to do with a Hasselblad. That was intentional as I assume you know how to use it.

• 2 weeks later...

I can't help you with the camera stuff. But I can help with the horse stuff.

First of all I think there is a world of difference between solely 'artistic' shots and, say, confirmation shots.

The work of Keith Carter that was posted above is very artistic and he's obviously got some talent. But if I had a horse that was a prime example of its breed I would not be happy with those shots at all. They don't show the horses best angles/attributes and are just not flattering. That doesn't mean they don't work. They are lovely and bbut they serve a different purpose.

One thing that you have to keep in mind with horses is that different breeds get 'set up' different ways. And the same is true of sport horses. Arabian horses that are being set up for confirmation *must* have their ears forward, their necks arched, their front feet parallel and their hind hooves apart with the hoof closest to the photographer stretched out behind and the one farthest away straight down.

If this is the kind of photography you are doing then you need to learn about horses or make sure that whoever is helping you knows exactly what they want. If the horse has any faults you'll need to learn how to subtley 'correct' them in the image too (ie. a slightly pigeon-toed horse).

It's quite easy to get a horse to prick its ears forward. Use a can of rocks to get their attention. You'll need an assistant for this and you'll have to start out slow so you only get the horses attention without freakign them out. Make sure the handler knows what you are doing.

Other things that work well are plastic bags (not so loud) and children's toys ... something on a stick like a windmill or colourful streamers. You can also get a type of 'whip' called a popper that makes a ... popping ... sound when you slap it against your hand.

One of my biggest pet peeve in horse photography is when the horses lead rope or reins are still in the picture with no handler and just lead off screen. If you can avoid this do!

Also, if you are working with show horses see that the client has them groomed up properly. nice black hooves and shiny coat are really nice for this kind of photography.

Of course, this is only one type. There are all kinds of things you can do. I hope it's a little helpful though.

• 2 months later...
I'm a newbie to photography, but have been around horses (dressage, 3-day, hunter/jumper) my entire life. Confirmation shots are all different depending on what discipline the horse is in. As far as the reins or leadline showing in the picture, this has never bothered me personally, and I believe it's something that anyone with any PS capabilities can easily remove. A plastic bag tied to the end of a long whip (i.e. dressage whip) usually does the trick as far as getting the ears up. But don't take the plastic bag/whip into the pasture, or you'll be chasing the horse all over the pasture for a picture.