450D vs. 40D price

suhaskulkarni

Hi

I have been keeping watch on the EOS bodies price trend

I observed that Canon Australia officially slashed prices of 40D and now

reputed shops are offering 40D at about 1300 AUD (which is less than internet

direct imports!) However, 450D is still offered at about 1000 AUD. there is

about 300 AUD difference in price of 40D and 450D.

What could be the reason?

With such a small price difference I doubt if there are many reasons to buy

450D instead of 40D....If I compare same for Nikon, Nikon D300 is priced at

about 2150 AUD while Nikon D80 is priced at about 1000 AUD... such a huge

price difference!

Hi Suhas , I just did a check with Canon Australia the price for the 40D Body only $AU 1999.00 The 5D Body only $ Au 3999.00

Official Canon Australia pricelist. This is the reason I bought mine at B&H New York for $ US 1139.95 no import duty from the USA to Australia.

Like Adrian, I have also been keeping an eye on UK prices and find some amazing variation in prices. You actually can pay around GBP 100 more for a 30D than the best price for a 40D with cashback. And, believe it or not, Jessops are as competitive as anyone! Perhaps the penny has finally dropped with them.

Some people like the lighter feel of the 450D; but I am currently using a 10D and like the ruggedness and easy to read dials (without having to put my glasses on). So the 40D at around GBP 520 inc. cashback, is starting to look very attractive. I may well get tempted very soon.

According to Robert's price, that is cheaper than in the US. 'I do not believe it'!

BTW where did you see Canon Australia slashing the official Australian 40D price. Canon Australia website still lists it as $1999.

Of course it makes sens with the $A as high as it is. On some of the more expensive lenses its is cheaper to fly business class to New York and pick up the lens there and fly back to Australia than pay the official Australian list price.

I read it somewhere in dpreview that the prices are slashed.

It was reflected immediately from stores like Camera Action, Digital Camera Warehouse which normally sell at near official prices. The prices were high before I read this post in DPreview.

However, as you mentioned, Canon Australia website still shows $1999 price. Not sure why...

Suhas you are right. The 40D is now quite cheap, though this is probably where it should have been. The Pentax K10D, which seems a better camera, is priced lower than this.

I am suprised the 450D is being introduced at $1089. It seems a bit high and cheaper to import from the US. Though I notice the 400D has shed a third of its price in less than 18 months.

As to your question on whther there are many reasons to prefer the 450D given its price point compared to the 40D, well I for one prefer a smallish/lighter camera for travel. The extra wheel on the back does not really interest me that much. And the 450D looks to have a better implementation of live view. I would prefer the 40D viewfinder though. It will be interesting the see what the image quality of the new sensor is like.

Hi Suhas some of these you list here are not genuine Australian import it pays to be careful. The benefit with B&H is worldwide warranty. I have been a customer of B&H for a number of years a great

place to shop at rock bottom prices.

If you are unsure with any Australian supplier ask a strait question is it Australian Canon back up guaranteed.

So to your first question right our dollar rocks or better the US one slumped.Here is my experience shipping was about $ 60.00 US I did purchase all needet to run this camera like extra memory and batteries and some plus in case of the memory that alone was half price.the all up cost was $ 220.00 some of this are import costs and some GST.Best to use UPS but beware they do charge to bring goods in.

That is if the value is in excess of $500.00 below use USPS no GST either

My all up saving was in excess of $ 500.00 Au.

One other purchase comes to mind not Canon it was a Imacon Hasselblad

Flextight scanner Australian price would have been $ 11800.00 Au

the purchase from B&H was $Au 4300.00 less and that included shipping and GST.

I hope this helps if you like get my Email and ask in private.

Manfred

This thread is an unfortunate (in the sense that it could be expensive) discovery...

My guess is that the 450D is a new model, so the prices have not "settled" yet. Give it a few

months, as stocks of the 350D and 400D deplete, and the 450D will drop in price to fill the

gap.

As you say, given the price differential, there is little reason to pick the lower-end model

right now.