Advertising

zeph

I find the ad's here are very distracting. I know their a necessary part of running a business but some of

these ads are aren't relative at all. I'm new here and have little opinion, but the ads with Java script, or

motion, are the worst, football..? come on, we're paying customers.

The worst I've seen so far is the "anti spyware deluxe which puts up a pseudo-Windows dialog box that says, "your computer may be infected with spyware, click here." I thought those types of borderline fraudulent advertisements were only found on certain types of websites.

There are ads breaking through that I do not think are intended to be shown on the site. The anti spyware one is surely one. I am sure Josh will prod the ad company back into compliance. It is the weekend so usually the fix comes the following working week.

I just used IE 6 without any ad blockers to view photo.net and didn't get any pop-ups or see any ads at all, for that matter. I rarely use IE at all and was surprised to see no ads whatsoever. I wasn't even logged in. Normally when I've used IE to view photo.net without logging in I see ads. This time, nuttin'.

I'm a paying member and I sometimes get black boxes placed over ads in particular the

CaptureOne ads. Is that suppose to happen?

And what's really annoying now is this ad that loop animates a shoulder/head shot of

some Dallas football coach I recognize but can't recall the name. There's no copy or

headline just two team logos and the coach panning across the ad box over and over.

I've gotten the spyware "scan your computer" pop-up that shows up looking like a system

generated dialog box asking you to click "Cancel" or "OK". Clicking cancel still takes you to

another site. This didn't happen here at PNet but at someone's MySpace blog linked from

the Adobe Forums Lounge. I quit my browser-( Safari v1.3.2 with pop-up blocker turned

on ) before it took me to that ad's page.

Weird. Just as an experiment I logged out and browsed the site with Firefox. No ad blocking or pop-up blocking software. I'm still not seeing any ads. No banner ads. No sidebar ads. No pop-ups. Nuttin'.

Dunno, mebbe the OS has an influence. I know the first version of WinXP was notoriously vulnerable to phony pop-ups disguised as official looking Microsoft warnings. FWIW, I'm using an old PIII with WinME.

I can't get rid of the "spyware" ad. It will not be cancelled and I can't get it to close so I can get it off of my computer...

Help!

I don't know how to get it to you, Josh. The content won't copy and paste and it just shows up in a small box..

I'm not seeing any top banner ads, but I'm seeing the usual ads in the right colum and in the footer. (Wind XP Pro, IE6)

Pat - just power down your PC if you can't turn it off. Rebeooting should take care of the ad, though if you have adware on your computer it may well come back.

To capture it press "Shift-Print Screen" to copy the screen, then paste the result in any image editor and save it as a JPEG file which you can upload. If you're using windows and don't have an image editor, you can just use the "paint" program which is in all Windows installations

I suspect the spyware popup ad isn't coming from photo.net even though it may popup when you are viewing photo.net. Any of the sites you've visited in the past could be responsible for a spyware popup.

Pat, that sounds very much like the notorious and annoyingly persistent problem that plagues the first version of WinXP. As soon as you get on the internet with that version of WinXP you'll be bombarded with dozens, hundreds, of variations of pop-ups looking like fake Microsoft warnings.

The first solution is to get the bug fix from Microsoft.

If I'm recalling correctly, the best way to deal with that particular annoyance is to move the box where it doesn't block the screen. Don't try to close it because another will pop up in its place. Move it off screen, then get the patch from Microsoft. Once you've done that, reboot and that particular type of pop-up will be banished.

I have all of the security that I think I need and the only place that I had visited when the crazy spyware ad came up was here.

I did go through the computer and work it out and I rebooted.

Thanks!