Using two Speedlites, what am I doing wrong?

Hi!

I'm using two 580EX Speedlites, one set to Master on the camera (Canon 5D), and the second set to Slave

on a light stand. I want to be able to set the effect separately for each unit but anyway I try I change the

effect on both of them. I must be doing something wrong, or is this not possible?

Please help me! And be Very precise!

Thanks, Mike.

When setting ratios, the number is reversed from normal logic. If you want the typical 3:1 lighting set the ratio on the master flash to 1:3. You can simply play with the 2 flashes to see the effect. I usually set program mode, evaluative metering, flash on camera as master set for group A, the remote flash set for slave and group B. Also make sure both flashes are set for the same channel (I use channel 1 unless I'm in the room with another Canon flash user - then I use channel 2). I've also noticed I can get slightly different flash results when varying between evaluative and spot metering depending on the subject. Just play around with it and check your camera's display for what works best.

As mentioned, make sure you setup groups.

The on camera 580EX will always be group A.

Be sure to set the other as Group B.

Also, Canon is sort of backwards as if you set ratio as 1:4, the oneboard A is 1 and B is 4.

Also, 1:8 is a 3 stop ratio and not 8...

-MArio

• 3 months later...