Zoom Ring On Tri-Elmar Version 1 Not Smooth

kingsley1

I have been offered to buy a Tri-Elmar 35-50-28 Version 1.

I have tested it and found that the zoom ring does not turn smoothly on the

28mm-50mm half whereas the turn on the 35mm-50mm half is perfect. The owner

thinks that the problem is due to the lens not been used for a long while.

I wonder if that prognosis is correct and whether there could be an underlying

problem which I should take into account when negotiating its price.

While I am here I will benefit from any views on the performance of this Tri-

Elmar lens.

They are known to exhibit this type of behavior and also to not always bring up the correct frame line even when the ring seems to be firmly at the focal length. I don't think more use will clear it up. Make sure you're not babying it too much, turn it with authority and see if it works better. I can recall my own 1st version behaving as you say, but it still was a fine lens.

I have this lens in chrome finish, purchased new several years ago and have experienced the same issue from the very beginning. At first I thought it was a problem with the lens, but I visited my dealer again and found that others in stock had the same feel. It is not a defect, but is characteristic of the version 1 design. The mechanicals in the version 2 were changed and have a smoother feel on the 28-50 shift.

In short, there is nothing wrong with the lens, rather this feel is inherent in the design. If you search around on the net you will find plenty of posts on this issue, and leica themselves comment on it in describing the version 2 changes.

As far as image quality is concerned, you will not be disappointed - very high quality at all focal lengths wide open. Irwin Puts' reviews confirm this in great detail. In fact, the optics were left unchanged in the second version. I am extremely happy with the quality.

The only downside to this lens is that it a bit large and heavy for a Leica body and feels front-heavy in use, but you quickly get used to that. I find that using the black Leica M grip with this lens helps a lot.