My new 24-70mm

wisdom_tong

After shopping around UK for the best price for a Canon 24-70mm f2.8L. I have

decided to buy my lens throught B&H and ship the lens to UK. I was wondering

has anyone gone thought this process and i would like to know is there any

extra fee that may be hidden such as government import fee/tax?

Thank you for any comments.

You will pay 17.5% VAT and possibly some Duty (approx 5%) and in addition there is usually a "Collection fee" for the monies from DHL of around 20 UKP. Note the VAT and Duty is charged on the total cost including shipping. I generally reckon to simply add 25% to the cost from B&H (Price + Shipping)to get a pretty good estimate.

Check out digitalrev in China, where I bought my 24-70 from. DigitalRev on Ebay quotes "No import Duty", but the base prices are higher! Check out their site - DigitalRev.com. Might not look as cheap as B&H, but when you tot it all up, it was the cheapest place for me, and I had no problems at all. (I'm in the UK)

You can choose whether to pay the VAT & Duty yourself when the lens arrives (17.5% + 5%), or you can pay an extra 17.5% to DigitalRev when you buy, and they will handle all vat and duty.

I chose the second way, as you're obviously saving another 5%.

Note that you also have to pay VAT and Import duty on the SHIPPING COSTS as well!

Plenty of dealers in the UK. A good UK street price from a reputable outlet for a 5D would be

about GBP 1300, which at today's exchange rate is roughly USD 2575. That's why some Brits

jump on a plane to NYC if they want to do some serious camera shopping.

I don't think you are going to make any significant saving - and you could well lose out - by the time you allow for the UKP 50 cashback currently available on the 24-70, and UKP 45 off from Jessops

http://camerapricebuster.co.uk/prod34.html

Your credit card will likely charge you a fancy price for dollars, especially in the current volatile currency market conditions, and you'll also spend time arranging for B&H to accept it.