Help: stuck M6 battery cover

Hi, I bought a used M6 recently. It works great. Condition is fair. Meter and range-finder are spot on. I

did not explore this right away, but today tried to take off the battery cover to see what is there. I cannot

get that thing to turn using my fingernails.

Is there is trick to take it off without tools that will scratch the black color right off?

Thanks, Dmitry

Try not with your fingernails, but with the tips of thumb and forefinger against opposite edges of the cover. Put the pressure sideways against the thin edge of the cover. Yes, it's hard to do. Try to avoid pressing straight down because this just forces the threads against each other and makes the cover harder to turn. Or lay a rubber band across the cover and try gripping the edges using the runner band for traction. With a rubber band and a pencil you might finagle something like a strap wrench, but the cover is awfully thin. Or place the corner of a mouse pad against the cover and use your thumbtip to try turning it without pressing down on it too much. These are variations on ways to get filters unstuck. Good luck.

For these sorts of issues I have a small piece of rubber sheet, a few inches square, and cut from either kitchen gloves or an old inner tube, etc. (With plastic screw-in items - lens hoods, for example - applying too much pressure to the item can distort it and make it feel even tighter).

Put the pliers away. Too much of a risk on the finish. Next time, place a small piece of

masking tape sticky side up on the battery cover, and then open it with your thumb pressed

against the tape. Someone here said it's Don Goldberg's solution to this problem and it has

worked for me.

I've always promised myself to replace the one's on my M6's covers that you can unscrew with a coin...

other wise another good idea is to put the camera on "B" in between shooting cessions (not when you have the camera on your neck or shoulder otherwise you'll end up taking the first picture with "B" systematically!)this camera doesn't use much juice so batteries will last long...

There are 3 factors to unscrewing the receptable:

temperature (yes it unscrews differently !)

nervousness (yes it is always when you get nervous that it doesnt open !)use thumb and index (not nails) applied to the sides not the center

prayer: always pray before according to your religion or the local one...