The end of of your last camera

jaycai

I was just curious as to what happened to people's old cameras that made them

get a replacement/upgrade. Did it get run over by a truck? Dropped in a lake?

Lost on a trip to Shanghai? Or did the camera just stop working one day? And if

so what component broke the easiest?

Canon A-1. Capsized off Cabrillo Beach, CA...three times :-)

Rinsed it out in a bucket of distilled water; twenty-some years later it still works, but the shutter squeals like a tortured hamster, so I don't trust it for professional work.

Over the years I've burned a hole in a cloth shutter (AE-1, wind blew off the solar filter), found all three metal shutter blades loose in the lens (Hasselblad), worn out film advance gears (RB-67 and C330) and even bent a body casting (F-2, bounced down a cliff in the Blueridge Mountains). I've also killed a few long-roll cameras (it's actually possible to catch a Beattie-Coleman on fire!).

Canon G2 - now residing somewhere in a landfill. After numerous times of having to resolder worn wires that connect the swing out LCD to the main body of the camera, something must have finally shorted out and fried the camera beyond repair. Hello Canon G9!

I sold my Pentax K1000, lenses and filters and added my Pentax MZ30 as a freebie into the deal. I've still got my Fujifilm Finepix 6900Z, which I let my son use. But I don't think that one is long for this world and it may get unceremoniously dumped in the bin soon. Pity, I liked that camera before I bought DSLRs.

I thought about trying to sell my AE-1, but it's still in my closet along with a Yashica T-3 and a Contax T-3 (maybe I like T-3s in general?); then there's the Konica Hexar along side the above cameras. Not to mention the Canonet rangefinder. I still have my 10D and may have it converted to infra-red. I sold my Canon S-50 point-and-shooter and am doing the same with my S-70. Just got the G-9 and a Ricoh Caplio is on the way........Did I mention my...............

My A80 recently finished dying a slow death from a likely blown capacitor. I stopped using the LCD, which helped for a while, but even that stop-gap eventually failed.

However, the camera was in use almost every day for more than 4 years in all kinds of weather and racked up 34,000 exposures.

[[now residing somewhere in a landfill]]

A better solution would have been to drop it off at an electronics recycling center.

150 cameras and counting. I did bequeath a Canon A80 to a son, now in iraq for second army tour, A95 to daughter, A620 to wife. My seven Leica's will be buried with me. Don't know about Nikon SLRs. Death of film and me will occur simultaneously.

The demise of beta format a long time ago was painful. The demise of VHS is even more painful. The demise of film will be even worse since I am more deeply invested. Statistical studies have indicated that people can will themselves to live until some special date, usually a birthday for celebrities. I am willing myself to live until I can dance on the grave of a certain village idiot from texas.

Kerry,you beat me flat with that number of cameras and perhaps more lenses.

I have what you might call a camera mausoleum of my older cameras. The one that gave me the last best service and is now a retired but still dusted off was a Canon A-1 with a Canon A2 winder attached. I bought two used copies of the FD 35-105mm lens (one of the late great,but not up to todays standards, zoom lenses for all around travel. Digital was not in the horizon then,just 15 years or less ago... (It went with me to Northwest Cape Australia end of the world and back...)

Whenever I think I can call it quits on finding room for my myriad collection and say enough is enough already something like this happens. My friend Conrad says Gerry, I want you to have my almost like new Minolta 201 with a Rokkor 1.2 lens. I am a sucker for taking in such good looking strays. Am I alone in never letting go and letting loose. Probably not. Oh yes, I have the little Canon squeak but I know that is an easy fix...maybe one day. gs

A few years ago, my primary picture-taking machine, a Minolta X-700, was largely replaced by an Olympus C-2500L digital, mostly because of the rising costs of "good" film processing in my area and the declining number of places offering "pretty-good" processing on the cheap. Or at all.

Funny, it seems like it's less "film dying" and more "film processing" dying that's the problem...