Raw conversion software?

I am purchasing my first digital camera (Nikon D300). I currently shoot large

format and do 16 bit scans with an Imacon/Hasselblad 646, so I am a bit

familiar with the digital darkroom. I am not replacing large format. I want to

take advantage of the wildlife opportunities while on landscape shooting

trips.

However, I have never delt with Raw files.

So, does Photoshop CS2 have the software I need to process the Raw files? Do

they need to be converted with special software? I want to hold onto the most

information possible for the best print quality possible. As I understand it,

I want to do a majority of the adjustments in Raw, and then, perhaps, do the

final fine tuning in TIFF in Photoshop.

Any input as to this process is appreciated.

Thanks!

Jon

You do need software to convert your RAW files, yes. Nikon should include some sort of RAW conversion software with the camera (I shoot Canon so don't know with certainty what Nikon does and don't really care for obvious reasons ;)).

Photoshop uses a converter called Adobe Camera RAW. The last version of ACR for CS2 was, I believe, 3.7. ACR support for the D300 is in version 4.3 which is only available with CS3 so you'd have to upgrade.

There is a free RAW converter on the market called RAW Therapee that does a pretty good job and is kept up to date with new cameras on a regular basis.

Aside from that, Adobe Lightroom also uses ACR and the most recent version of LR 1.3.1 has support for the D300 I believe.

Sometimes you will get a bundled deal with the purchase of a memory card for additional software. I don't know if it's still active but at one point SanDisk and Phase I had a deal where you got a free copy of Phase I Capture I LE with the purchase of a SanDisk CF card and a discount on an upgrade to P1C1 Pro.

RAW conversion software isn't full editing software. Lightroom comes closest but it lacks numerous important features of a full editing package. You want to get the RAW file as "right" as possible in the RAW conversion process because when making adjustments to the RAW file, most of the changes are non-destructive since RAW isn't an actual image format. Once you cook the RAW file into a TIFF or JPEG you start destructive editing. So get it as "right" as you can before you save it as a TIFF or JPEG then do the same kind of editing you would to your film scans in PS.

Jon,

Nikon uses a format called NEF (Nikon Electronic Format) that Photoshop (as of my last update) doesn't understand natively.

Your camera should come with an installer CD that will provide you with a Photoshop plug-in that will read the NEF files. The software may vary some,

based on the camera, but on mine, when I open the NEF files with Photoshop, I get a very simple dialogue that allows me to make exposure

adjustments and assign a different white balance. From there you will be able to edit the file as you would any other.

Capture One, on the other hand, does read the NEF files natively, and, as Robert said, it's a great way to get the photo as "right" as possible before

taking them into Photoshop, as the controls are more comprehensive.

Hope this helps! Cheers!

The only raw processing software that deals with Nikon NEF files "natively" is Nikon Capture NX. Nikon may still be including Capture NX with new D300 and D3 bodies. Arguably, Capture NX will do the very best job of NEF processing of all of the options.

It is definitely true that different raw processors can and do interpret the same set of "raw" data differently. Each has their proprietary set of processing algorithms --as well as user interfaces. Everyone else, whether Adobe, Phase one (capture One), Bibble Pro, Raw Developer, etc., must back engineer their compatibility to every camera make and model they support. Capture One is fine software but you have to ask yourself: Do you really want to learn an entirely new workflow if you are already familiar with working with Photoshop? Hence my advice, if you choose not to use Nikon Capture NX, is to update to Adobe Photoshop CS3.

"The last version of ACR for CS2 was, I believe, 3.7. ACR support for the D300 is in version 4.3 which is only available with CS3 so you'd have to upgrade. "

No, you wouldn't have to upgrade.

Adobe have a free tool called a "DNG Converter" that converts any supported format (and there are hundreds) to Adobe's open Digital Negative Format (a lossless conversion). Once you've converted you can then open the file in ANY version of CS.

Has other benefits as well.

I shoot RAW exclusive - and convert ALL to DNG as a matter of course.

Cheers,

Colin

<small><i><blockquote>

my advice, if you choose not to use Nikon Capture NX, is to update to Adobe Photoshop CS3

</blockquote> </i> </small><p>

Plus the Viveza plugin gets you most of the way to Capture NX.