Which Canada service centres?

alan_chan4

I have just received my brand new 70-200/4L IS which seems fine, sort of. What I

mean is everything function as normal, except it BF slightly at 70mm, and the

top edge is a bit blurry and more severe toward the top right corner at 200mm. I

am using 40D so I thought the blurriness would be more severe on 5D, but it

wasn't. Anyway, to keep it brief, I think my copy is not so poor worth gambling

on an exchange (mail order) hoping the replacement would be better. So, of the 3

Canon service centres in Canada, which one has the most reliable and best

record? And which one to avoid? Also, the IS is louder than the EF-S17-55/2.8IS,

is it normal? Many thanks!

Just use the Canon web site to find the closest service center. I went to the one in Montreal and can only report that they did a great job cleaning my DSLR.

http://www.canon.ca/product_reg.asp?lng=en&pr=3&shlink=http%3A%2F%2Fcanoncanada-loc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/canoncanada_loc.cfg/php/loc/enduser/loc.php?p_locator_view=ConsumerService

\CL

I guess you have no problems shipping (or hopping onto an Air Canada flight) to any of the Canadian Canon locations?

Canon Mississauga is the only place I have visited 3 times. No problems so far. They even couriered my warranted camera back to me free. Furthermore, they were going to courier my other out-of-warranty camera to me free also! But, I don't trust couriers with delicate electronics and decided to drive the 50 kilometres to pick it up.

I think the IS being louder likely means nothing. I have a 24-105 and 70-200 f2.8 with IS. The latter is noticeably louder. Good luck with your lens. My 24-105 is just now at the Calgary service center, for similar issues as yours. This is my first experience with Canon Service, and the lens is out of warranty. I just wish I'd got on the ball and checked the quality sooner.

There's an automotive expression "blueprinting". It meams something along the lines of: product comes from the factory, with coarse-adjusted components, each within spec's, but sometimes barely. Sometimes having multimple components near their spec. limits can add up to an overall product that's out of spec. Blueprinting is the process of tearing the product down to it's components, and esnuring each is as close to it's "blueprint" spec. as possible. Then re-assemble and verify overall spec. is as close as possible.

Seems like sending a lens into Canon might (hopefully) accomplish this.