Canon CANADA rebate program announced.

bobatkins

David,

Return your 40D. This happened to me in the May promo, after a week of owning my 30D. Most, if not all stores have a good return policy. I told the salesperson straight out why I was returning it, they were fine with it, knowing that all I required was a date change on the receipt.

Good Luck

Cheers,

jeff

Jeff

The 70-200 f4.0 IS for example, has a $75 dollar (stand-alone, offer A) rebate.

Locally in Vancouver, BC, the lens is currently advertised at $1329.99 CAN at Lens and Shutter. The online New York retailer B&H is currently advertising the same lens at $1059.00 US, with shipping $33.50 US (UPS expedited to Canada), that comes to $1092.50.

So before rebates, and assuming both dollars at par (The Canadian dollar is currently a penny shy of the US dollar), B&H's price is $237.49 lower. Take off the rebate and (2~3 months later), you're only behind by $162.49.

Now, taxes: buy from B&H import to Canada, and you pay GST *only* on lens, no provincial sales tax.

Finally, if you want a regular thickness 67mm B+W MRC UV filter with the lens, through B&H they list at $49.95 US. Back in Canada at Lens & Shutter, the same filter is... mmm, couldn't find it. Ok, Henry's in Toronto, they're asking $74.99 CAN. Again assuming dollars at par, that's $25 more.

So, on the len, *after* rebate, the Canadian price is $162 more. Factor in (say 6%) additional sales tax increases the difference by about $80. Then, add the $25 additional on the filter, and a further extra $4.50 sales tax on the filter.

Bottom line, buying the 70-200 f4.0 IS in Canada, with the $75 rebate, with a B+W MRC reg. thick. UV filter, is going to cost you an additional $271 and change.

<p>The XSi isn't included. It's used as an example on page 2 of category C (buy eligible items along with any body other than the 40D or 5D, and get a bigger rebate on the eligible items).</p>

<p>OK, someone has to start this rumour, so I will. The 85/1.2L II is listed. Does this mean it's about to be updated? :-)</p>

Dave, I'm sure something *is* happening in the Candadian retail camera business, now, with this price disparity. The stores' bottom lines can't be slumping too much, they're not folding. Or maybe they are folding, slowly...

My guesses would be:

1. The demographic of the typical Canadian camera store customer is changing, to increasingly be first-time buyers and anyone nervous about web purchases, shipping issues, etc.

2. The items being sold are gravitating towards low end point-and-shoot, lower priced items in general, where shipping is more of a factor, and away from expensive glass and bodies.

This is not black and white (haha), I'm sure they still sell their share of digital slrs and glass, but that share has to be shrinking.

I'm not sure *why* there prices are so much higher. It would be interesting to discuss with Canadian retailers. Is it extra duties/charges they incur, or a higher profit margin (maybe due in part to smaller customer base), they're a bit greedier, or all of the above?

If you have been keeping track, most (if not all - I did not check each one) of the lenses on rebate have gone up in price (from about 1-2 weeks ago) by the same value as the rebate. So this round of rebates has been turned into a bit of a sham. The earlier rebates were obviously a better deal.