Anyone using the Think Tank system?

jmichaelc

Got the Steroid speed belt / harness with 7 Lens changer 15's yesterday.

Got to admit, perfect quick draw system for all my primes and zooms. Just

curious if any of you all have worn it through a typical 8-10 hour wedding

day. I'm a little concerned with having that weight around my waist all day

but the payoff to have such quick access to my lenses was worth giving it a

try. Any story's to share?

Thanks!

I love it. I don't use the harness.

The weight around the waist isn't even that noticeable. Its more then nothing, but better then many options. Then again, I don't carry much on the belt. Extra flash, 70-200, and bag with batteries, CF cards, etc...

I use one. I actually switched to it from an over-the-shoulder bag that I used. What I have is the the Steroid belt with the Pixel Harness (which is a set of suspenders that also puts some of the weight on my shoulders, but evenly instead of on only one shoulder). I have much fewer than 7 pouches on it, but what I've found was that my back would really be unhappy with the shoulder bag, and is much happier with the belt system. The problem I was trying to solve with the belt system was not the amount of weight on me, but rather that the weight was unbalanced.

I Think ...No Tanks. :-) One Camera, One Lens, One Meter & a Flash... that's it. Does depend on the light that day -- sometimes there is the weight of a Quantum SC lite pack ..but generally just rechargeables in a shoe mount.

I don't have a Think Tank belt, I use a Lowepro belt, but I do have a few tips, having worn the belt for 8-10 hour gigs. First, modular is the way to go as Charles said. Second, the trick is to achieve wearing balance with the kit that you normally wear, however that works out on your anatomy. The belt should ride on your hip bones and be balanced. Then, when you need to, you can move the belt around to get at stuff or to fit into tight spaces, such as between tables at a reception, so don't make the belt too tight. If you have a ticklish back, you don't want to put the weight toward the front, for instance.

michael - I use the steroid speed belt with a variety of the bags for a typical 6-13 hour wedding. I love it and it makes my job much more enjoyable.

7 lens changer 15's, however, sounds a bit much to me. I tend to mix it up with some larger and smaller bags since my lenses are all different sizes. I also try to avoid the temptation of carrying EVERYTHING on my belt - it makes getting around hard. in particular, you will notice that you suddenly can't squeeze in between guests at a wedding b/c you are suddenly wider... :-)

I would say try to use 3 changers for now and see how it feels.

Nadine,

I've had the Lowepro belt system too but got rid of it a few years ago; it was clunky to work with. About 2 years ago I started workign with the Thinktank photo belt system and the Modulus bags for it. Big, big difference. it is designed by photographers for photographers.

Bob is half right two top designers left Lowepro to start the company in conjunction with two photojournalists from the SF area, one of whom is a woman and she makes sure their gear also fits women's body in a more comfortable way ( one difference women carry the belt borne weight on their pelvis while men tend to carry it up at their waist.) You owe it to your bodies to try their system. http://www.thinktankphoto.com

Michael Church:

The secret to not getting fatigued is to not lock the modulus pouches into place on the belt, being able to move them around keeps one set of muscles from getting over stressed. See what you really need and only caryy that much gear. I have two belts set up differently for different types of gigs.

Ellis, thanks for the consideration. I've looked at the Think Tank system, and it is probably all that you say. I've just not had any problems with the Lowepro, which, by the way, is the light model--not the full thing. Plus, I don't overload it, as Conrad says. One day, perhaps.

I have the speed racer + lightning fast and chimp cage which I pack for most work and wear if we're going to do a lot of walking or work in several locations. I bring it to weddings but it's too bulky to navigate around and ends up hidden under a table. When I plan to stash the bag I bring the belt, trim changer, and a lens bag 35 which works best for me, holding essentials without becoming too cumbersome.

Thanks Marc for the info, I try to keep up with who goes where in the industry. I've always liked Lowepro so gotta check out think tank now. I lost about 50 pounds this past year or so and the belt is hanging big time. Time to buy something new! I sorta look like the kids with low riding pants! The problem is I'm 52 and look darn stupid!

How would you use such a system if you are wearing a suit or blazer? It would look awful under it or over it. I can see women getting away with it because they can wear nice slacks and a top and look dressed, but there is no way a guy could wear one of these systems and dress in a way that my clients would think appropriate. Or is the totally casual look for wedding photographers in these days? I am not trying to be smarmy here; I am honestly puzzled as to how some of you make it all work. I can see such a system if one is covering a sporting event, but, to me, looking like Tim The Tool Guy at a formal or semi-formal affair just doesn't seem the thing to do.

Marv, you're right, too many bags + jackets could leave the wearer looking like a tepee.

I wear a suit and what works well is to position the lens bag on the outside front of my leg, and the square bag next to it on my side. The jacket will bulge a little thanks to the side bag, but it is a good compromise rather than trying to cram lenses in pants, shirt, and jacket pockets along with cell phone, keys, cards, batteries, etc. or navigate around with a shoulder bag. Also the bag eliminates the chance of kicking the battery pack for the flash out of my jacket pocket when I crouch down for a shot, which happened once during toasts. The pack landed on a wood floor and was pretty noticeable.

I have also worn the larger bag with a suit when walking from locations A to B but it will get stashed the first chance I get. There was one day I worked out of it most of the time since there was a lot more walking between three locations (and travel to a fourth) than shooting. I just kept the large part of the bag on my side or over the outside front of my leg (or in front) and let the jacket fall behind the bag or bunch. Others may have found a better solution but this worked since we were in more of an industrial setting and touring work areas not really designed for 3+ people with photographer and camera crew.

Think tank has recently come out with non-padded versions of their products which may address your concerns better, but I have not seen them at my local store and have not had the chance to try them out.

I actually like it now that i've had a chance to give it a try. I use to worry a lot about fitting in with the formal attire Marve but after nearly seemingly having two heat strokes in the dead of summer i said goodby to the ultra formal attire. From what i gather, our clients admire our hard work rather than the formal attire. I don't think there is a certain expetation. From my experience, the only real expectation is that we fufill that of which we have marketed to them. Our clients want captivating work and, i've found beling comfortable allows me to go at a faster more versitle pace to accomplish it. I do belive that they expect you to present yourself in a professional well dressed manner but i don't belive that means we (photographers) have to be decked out either.

I use to put more emphasis on the attire but my field experience has made me rethink this. Now i wear all black dress pants, black under t-shirt, with a nice short sleeve all black dress shirt. So...all black comfortable dress clothes. This black belt /harness system really isn't that bad at all. My main priority was to have access to required lenses as a result of ever changing events. This is an interesting topic (dress) and one that i would enjoy seeing explored a little furter in discussion.

Michael, I don't do formal attire, either, but I do where a black blazer, black shirt with a tie, and gray slacks. I don't see how such a system would work for me. I use 2 bodies, one with a 17-35mm f2.8 and the other with a 70-200 f2.8. Both with shoulder straps. Extra cards are in a small pouch on my belt. A meter and an Expodisc are in my pocket. Things like cell phones stay in the car The rest of my gear I keep in a Pelican case under or around the DJ's table. With that setup, I avoid changing lenses frequently and have few problems with dust on the sensors. The idea of changing lenses outside on a breezy day gives me the goose bumps just thinking about it.

My non wedding work, like high school seniors, does allow me to be a little more casual and I use a Mountain Smith fanny pack for stuff then.

Speaking as a woman, I don't like the fact that a belt does add bulk to the hips. I wear a jacket and it bulges a little on the sides. I try to avoid putting pouches right on the side hip, but either slightly in front of or in back of the hip. However, as Michael points out, my clients don't care, as long as I look reasonably professional and nicely dressed--appropriate for the casual-formal level of the event itself. I also don't overload the belt. I also use a small shoulder bag. Part of the reason I finally started wearing a belt is that it allows me to have certain important things on my person all the time, most notably, a case full of used and unused memory cards. I had a case of gear stolen once, and one roll of exposed film was in the case, which I never got back. While I never take my eyes off my shoulder bag, if I put it down, I don't discount the possibility that it may get stolen at some point. Also, men's jackets and pants have lots of pockets to put things, and women's clothes are just not made the same way, although I would not trust memory cards in pockets either. As with many things, different strokes...