Starting off as a Wedding photographer

Hello, my name is Serge. I've used this website for answers before and it just

rocks! It's time i asked a question, because i know all the professionals are

here to answer it!

I'm an aspiring photographer and have had quite a few commercial works done,

but in the mean time would like to work as a freelance wedding photographer,

have all the knowledge from books on Wedding Photo, I've studied to do it right,

but have to get my foot in the door to be considered.

Please, advise me on how to get my first wedding assignment. Where do i go?

I tried online, but to no success.

that's a link to my web album http://picasaweb.google.com/excelphotos/

Serge

Thank you for your time.

Hi Serge

Nice work by the way.

I'm sort of in the same situation so will watch your post with interest. The way I plan to do it is to advertise in the back of the local paper, shop noticeboards etc. as a service to local who want portraits, weddings, events etc shot on a budget, and I will advertise this as expenses only, i.e materials and travel and perhaps a few pence for 'tips' if they are happy with my work. This will hopefully allow me to build my experience/portfolio. I plan to set up a website shortly other than my deviantart site http://jimkarthauser.deviantart.com so that I can use it as a showcase for my business work.

Hope this helps.

Advertising is definitely the way. We need to keep in mind all the time that business is not only the obvious tasks of photography, but accounting, budgeting, and advertise advertise advertise. Good that makes me feel better, it's easier than I thought? Not!

Best of luck. Thanks for the comment. Which one was your favourite?

I actually started when few of my friends and my sister got married.... they asked me if I wanted to do it and I did... I am no pro but I enjoy a chalange besides it gave me a great opportunity to go to Ireland for my friends wedding.... also try to leave some of your bussineess cards with a local florist or any boutiques in your area that focus on weddings

Hi,

I'd highly recommend trying to link up with an already established wedding photographer. The most important and steepest part of the learning curve will be the business side of it, not the photography.

There are at least a few different ways to work with another photographer: assistant, second shooter, partnership, etc. So, pick one you feel comfortable with and pursue that. You will know when it's time to strike out on your own.