Tired of stepping on your toes

mr. sullen

Oddly enough, that is a problem that I recognize. I am in the middle of drafting a document that ties together all of the policies that are listed in various places across photo.net. I doubt it will make anyone any happier if they disagree with the way the site is run, but at least everything will be in one place.

It also won't cover everything. It's impossible to formulate a set of rule that cover everything and if you could it would be so long that nobody would read it.

The vast majority of users don't seem to have any problem with the current guidelines, so they must be fairly comprehensive and understandable.

<i>"Happiness is a fat brown trout you just horsed out of a cut bank with a 5wt."</i>

<p>

Oh buddy, you ain't kidding! Although to be honest, we're light on brown trout here on the west side of the Cascades. I should get more excited about targeting some of the stocked brownies in local lakes.

Clark Fork river in Montana, man you can float for miles and miles. When the browns come up the St Regis is when it gets happy-time. Before that you can catch the huge hybrids. If you ever get to fish it try between Superior, MT and St Regis. Don't tell anyone about it though, they are all in too much of a hurry driving past it to fish the Yellowstone and Madison.

Do what I do Shay, just take pictures, don't worry about what people think. Pushing the button is enough to make me happy.

• 2 weeks later...

"The vast majority of users don't seem to have any problem with the current guidelines, so they must be fairly comprehensive and understandable".

I'll have to say that I agree with that statement. I don't find the problem to be with the rules/guidelines. The problem is with the perception of some...perhaps many (self included) that they aren't always treated fairly under those guidelines...and when they do complain, that it's very common to be told to "go elsewhere" if they don't like the way this site is operated. I've experienced this treatment more than once, and have had several unsolicited e-mails sent my way from friends/members who have experienced the same.

If I have a complaint, I expect nothing more than that I be heard and treated respectfully...whether I'm agreed with or not.

What I'm offering is "site feedback". Yet, as I write I wonder if this post will be allowed to stand...or if it will be deleted, as censoring of comments that reflect negatively on how the site is run is common. I would suggest this: if PN truly wants to continue to be best photographic community online (and despite it's shortcomings...I believe it is), I believe that administration would do well to not only welcome, but invite constructive criticism in an open forum such as this. (If an issue involves a specific person, whether it be staff or member...then do it by e-mail, as guidelines specify).

I've always heard that for every one person who speaks up and complains about an issue, that there are 7-10 who have complaints, but choose (for whatever reason) to say nothing. So, just because people aren't complaining... doesn't mean that all is well.

I offer this as constructive criticism. If my post remains here for the next few days for anyone/everyone to read...then perhaps there is hope that my "problem" with the site might actually be found worthy of consideration. If not... and my comment is deleted...then I guess that in effect, I will have been sitting here talking to myself like a fool?

just the other day one of my comments on a thread was removed in the cc section (Ananymous by Michael Howard March 10th). Although I can't see a reason for it, it wasn't disrespectful to anyone and valid within the context of the discussion, I sure would like to have a notification if this kind of thing happens.

Other than that, you can write guidelines as many as you like but you won't be able to cover all as you said yourself. I think it's a wellknown fact that most people to read those statements anyway. It's just that most people conform to the basic rules of decency anyway, at least in my experience.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
<p>I just got banned for 2 days for misinformation and other stuff. Gotta tell you......I see lots of misinformation on here, but it isn't from me. I am very qualified academically and professionally...I know what I'm taliking about.....so.........you can't just "ban".....you have to offer a chance for dialogue somehow. How can you say who is right? As it is I have no idea what I'm being banned FOR. So be specific and tell me.......I paid money to the forum, I try to participate, and this is how you deal with me?</p>