Mirror lenses--revisited

marosari00

Hola Manuel!

Wow, I remember reading this article many months ago, which got me looking for a mirror lens (which I recently purchased). The thing is, at the time I didn't realise it was written by Herbert Keppler; I'm not sure I even knew who he was back then! Thanks for the link, Manuel.

One thing Mr Keppler didn't talk about is the Pentax 400-600mm mirror. This Pentax mirror also does zoom, small/lightweight and has good contrast (rare for mirror). I could just see mirror coming back when good ISO6400 is the norm for all DSLR (ie: Nikon's D3).

Hi all. I am a newbie with a 500mm mirror that I bought 16 years ago, and then basically didn't touch until last year. I enjoy it now on my K100D, and despite struggling with manual focus and shallow dof, I would not part with it unless I somehow "inherited/acquired" something in the same or longer focal length. This was a shot I took with it yesterday.<div>00OjT2-42183884.jpg.a56dc76c2673b7645bbc0d8625baf7f8.jpg</div>

Thanks Miserere. It's a sharp enough pic, but I have a folder of blurred shots as well! My eyes are not what they used to be either.

Too true about the weight advantage of the mirror lens, and I am sure that only with experience of something big and heavy will I really appreciate it! But I do long for something faster. I am a fairly large guy (6ft 8in, 250lbs) so I like to think the weight wouldn't be too much of an issue.

But thinking about coping with the weight when the cost of fast tele glass is beyond me, is like imagining taking the ultimate wildlife shot while dozing in my armchair - something else I too often do!

Here is another shot with it, high iso, fast shutter because of the iso/bright sunlight, trying to catch some action, cropped to square.<div>00OjcH-42187284.jpg.281d73d0c1a3e313e131278a481193e3.jpg</div>

Hooray for recycle bin! As for the photo of the tug-o-war, I second Miserere. As for being an fairly large person myself with presbyopia, a large lens will take it's toll by weight. I have a 300 and 500mm (both mirrors) and use them interchangeably with "analog" photography. Just started to play with a K10D.

Miserere, as for de donde soy...soy de Puerto Rico.

Happy clicking!

A friend at work with Photoshop processed some of my test shots. Here are some leaves outside my office (hey, what did you expect?). It's the original file, I didn't want to downsize it so you could decide whether the sharpness, etc. is good enough.

Oh, I was about 3.5m away, and took the photo through a dirty window, hand-held on my K10D.<div>00OmJE-42255284.thumb.jpg.c32a761e935e65870f9d658240cb3d1a.jpg</div>

Garry, actually, I took some comparison shots with my Sigma 70-300mm at 300mm f/8 where more of these leaves were in focus, and I like this shot better. Of course, if I wanted to take this shot properly I would use a shorter lens, but it's what was outside my window and the Sun just popped out for about 3 mins in between rain storms and the water drops caught my eye.

I took some other shots of people playing tennis from about 75m away and the DoF was fine. For the leaves I calculated the DoF was 1.5cm. For the tennis shots it was about 8m, which is a lot more manageable.

I will definitely enjoy it, Garry!