Using PhaseOne P-30 w/ Sinar view camera?

j.lewis.photo

I have access to a p30 digital back on a medium-format system, and I own a Sinar

F1 4x5 camera. What kind of quality could be expected if I were to purchase the

necessary adapters, shutters and digital lenses and use the P30 on the Sinar.

I've heard that the P45 is better designed for large format movements, due to

the pot depth?

Would the P30 produce adequate results for commercial use? I love using view

cameras for product work in the studio, but find myself using a Canon with

tilt/shift lenses most often. I really want to shoot with a view camera, but

don't want to shoot film.

Would the P30 produce acceptable results?

Also, would I buy just one sinar shutter that goes between the two standards,

and works with all lenses? Then would I just need a cable to attach the P30

back to the shutter? Any other cables?

Thanks

you will need a phase one flex adaptor to mount the back to it and the adaptor to the camera. the flex adaptor also has a

ground glass and holds the back next to it, it slides over for make shooting faster and also stitching multiple exposures

are possible. good quality 45 lenses produce preatty good files, digital LF lenses will be better but at the expense of a

dedicated lens. my schneider 90 5.6 XL and 150 5.6L work very well with my P25. diffraction from closing down f stop

really hurts on DBs, just like shooting F64 on 45 film, i dont go past F32 with my P25, really try not to close down more

than you need to. F11-16 is really crisp, F22ish is about as far as i would casually venture, at F32 and beyond you get into

more aggressive sharpening to counteract the softness caused by diffraction.

the P25 and 45 dont have micro lenses over each pixel which presents a problem with movements with lenses shorter than

about 55mm. (see lens cast correction) they are also larger chips than the P30. the P30/45 having smaller pixels than my

P25, will stress lenses more demanding digital LF lenses, even the rodenstock HR (high resolution for the small pixel sites)

super snazy line really helps with those backs but doesnt that much for a back like mine. the larger pixels of the P25 are

closer to film making 45 lens resolution work well.

you will need a myriad of cables to use the back on the camera. best to contact a dealer. you need this cable that attaches

to the lenses flash port and the DB's 8 pin port, and this cable has a wake up button, then use your regular shutter release

to trip the shutter after waking it up. if using flash, connect to the PC port on the DB to it. all that runs $200 or a one shot version runs $400 from www.kapturegroup.com.

my reccomended dealer, www. captureintegreation.com (atlanta and miami), i bought from them and im in idaho.

if theres anything else, write back to: michaelnotar at mac dot com , i dont check here much.

The P30 has micro-lenses on it, which is said to cause color fringing. I guess what I'm looking for is for someone who has tried it or knows how bad this fringing is, and can tell me if it only occurs at the extreme movements? Also it has a 1.3x lens factor, so I wonder how wide of a lens you can use with it while still having some movements. I would plan to use digital lenses. I've found a used flexadapter for pretty cheap, which is why I'm very tempted to try this.

thanks