Canon EOS-1D Mark III, 10.1 Megapixel, SLR, Digital Camera

northwest

I think it's overkill for landscape (5D would be a better value). THere are a couple of

recent threads that discuss the AI-servo focus difficulties in bright light, or go look at the

Rob Galbraith site. <P>

If you don't rely on AI-servo autofocus in bright light, then it's a fine camera. If you do,

then you need to read <A HREF="http://www.robgalbraith.com/bins/multi_page.asp?

cid=7-8740-9068-9168">Galbraith's report on the 1D3 </a> before making a purchase

decision. <P>

There are a couple of updates (see the button on the top of the page) that hint that a final

solution is in the works.

I'm going to agree with Mark that it seems an odd choice for landscape, unless you do other types of photography that

require the camera features that you won't need for landscape.

You could make a case that it is more suited to wildlife photography than landscape I suppose. Its 1.3x crop sensor means

that you long lenses will have slightly narrower angles of view. But if that is your reasoning, a 1.6x crop sensor body would

go even further in that direction. The 1DMKIII also provides a very high frame rater, but here, too, a 40D could get you

pretty close to that.

If you wildlife is not moving extraordinarily fast and you have long enough lenses, the 5D could work well here, too.

An option to consider if you want to do both landscape and wildlife and don't think the 5D will meet your standards for the

latter would be to get the 5D for landscape and get a 40D for wildlife. In some ways this could be a better setup - and a

comparable or slightly lower cost - than the 1DMKIII alone.

Dan

Any of the newer 1 series cameras is a good choice. They provide weather sealing, simultaneous dual card recording for image security, more durable shutters, and swifter over-all performance. The 1DMKIII also provides Live View ... which is very useful especially for tripod work. It is an especially

adept camera in low light, especially the AF. If you are planning on use of longer Canon lenses for wildlife work, the 1 Series are much better choices for AF work.

The 1DMKIII issue concerning AI-Servo at 10 FPS, in warm, bright conditions with certain lenses is real. Canon did a fix on previously purchased cameras, and new ones (called "Blue Dot" versions) all are updated. This "Blue Dot" fix was primarily in response to Galbraith's earlier report that now has

been carried onward to beat this horse to beyond death. There are mixed opinions as to wether the fix by Canon was enough. No data exists as to how many photographers think it was enough or not. It remains to be seen if Canon does further fixes.

IMO, the 5D is a lighter duty camera in comparison to the 1 series units and a slower performer. Some 5Ds in service are showing signs of issues ... like reports of the mirror falling out. So, it depends on what you'll be doing and how much of it.

BTW, I have extensively used all the cameras I am commenting on ... including the 5D. Were I you, I'd seriously look at a 1DsMKII. 16.7 meg full frame makes for very nice large landscape prints.

"If you don't rely on AI-servo autofocus in bright light, then it's a fine camera. If you do, then you need to read Galbraith's report on the 1D3 before making a purchase decision."

I would like to suggest also that in addition to reading the RG report, get hold of a camera by hook or by crook, and see how the AF systems performs for your needs. As convincing as the RG report may appear to be I can tell you that many aren't having anywhere near the amount of trouble that the report suggests that we should be having. Case in point. The camera is supposed to be at it's worst in SERVO mode - on bright days - with fast moving objects - on blue backgrounds. Yesterday I spent a few hours - in bright sunlight - shooting boats coming towards the camera at over 100MPH - with a TC2.0 on a 70-200/2.8IS none the less (not the greatest combination for focusing). 11 out of 412 were out of focus - happy to email each and every one to you if you'd like to see for yourself.

Colin, out of curiosity, how far away were the boats you were photographing? Speed is an

important challenge for an AF system, but it is mitigated by distance (i.e., 100 mph a long

way off does not require a lot of focus adjustment, but 100 mph fairly close certainly does).

Thank you very much for comments.I think bright sunlight not good for any camera,but I wish to try camera first.My email is photorobot@msn.com please send me samples.

Canon 40D good camera I think but not really for pro work, 5D got some not very good comments too,and I like camera with sensor cleaning system so Canon EOS-1D Mark III is closest to work with I think,but sure it is four time more for money than 40D.

Thank you very much everebody.

I use the 5D for my stuff. I carry spares as I've had this camera die twice in important situations. Most recently I had the mirror fall off only a few days after coming out of service for another issue.

Great files though, and nice to use.

<p>

I would definitely go with a 1 series for any serious outdoor work.

"Colin, out of curiosity, how far away were the boats you were photographing?"

It varied - I'd have to check the GPS at home to give you anything more accurate than a wild guess. At their nearest they're filling approx 1/2 a frame horizontally.

"Speed is an important challenge for an AF system, but it is mitigated by distance (i.e., 100 mph a long way off does not require a lot of focus adjustment, but 100 mph fairly close certainly does)."

It certainly does have an effect, but of course it's the closing speed, not the boat speed that's important: The point at which they're closest is the point at which relative velocity is zero and the AF system doesn't have to really do anything - unless of course you're in the middle of the course about to get mown down by a speedboat doing 100+, in which case AF performance is the last of your worries ;)

The hardest bit for the AF is probably where the boats are around 45 to 30 deg off being perpendicular to the camera - that's where several of the OOF shots were (in a sequence). I'm happy to put it down to "RG phenomina, but it could just as easily have been me letting the AF point drift off the target (an easy thing to happen when hand holding and trying to shoot something relatively close going by at 100+ with spray everywhere.

" ... describing the 5D as a "lighter duty camera" is disingenuous."

G Dan Mitchell, Read Ians' post above. One of many similar I've read on the wedding forum where the 5D is a popular choice, and are used for up to 8 hours at a crack over and over.

"Lighter duty" is therefore in context to making a comparison to an 1 Series camera ... which was the subject of the thread.

Not only is the 5D frame rate slower, so is the AF, especially in low light with fast L optics. The fastest camera I've used to date for low light work is the 1DMKIII ... it has more higher-sensitivity cross type sensors in

array than a 5D. The 5D is not weather sealed, nor is it able to shoot to two cards. If you've ever been caught in inclement weather, or had a card fail after a paying shoot, then these features would take on more

importance.

The price you pay is size and weight. However, my clients are less concerned about my personal comfort than they are about their photos.

Outside of fast fps the 1D series is odd. Not wide as full frame or long as 1.6 crop body. I would go with 40D because it goes wider with 10-22 lens and longer on tele if 6 fps are fast enough. The most interesting system may be the Nikon D3 which has speed, wide angle, and possible tele in the range you use.

Canon has a real thorn in the side with the Nikon D3. It's just as fast as 1D3. This is probably why there is delay with 5D2. Canon could esily make it weather sealed, 8-10 fps, low noise iso 6400 and keep it at 13mp with same size and weight. This would cut into the 1 series sales for sure, but does Canon have a choice? Regardless, the current 1D3 model may be short lived because of Nikon D3.

<i>It's just as fast as 1D3.</i><P>

Well, yes and no (not that it matters much): a bit slower in continuous-focus AF (9 fps

instead of the 1D3's 10); a bit faster in one-shot AF (11 fps instead of 10). But I agree

that the D3 is a very serious challenge for Canon in the 'sports camera' category.<P>

<I>Canon could esily make it weather sealed, 8-10 fps, low noise iso 6400 and keep it at

13mp with same size and weight. This would cut into the 1 series sales for sure,</i><P>

I'd like to be surprised but I'm not at all sure this could be done easily, unless one would

accept a cost a lot higher than what the 5D sells for. Essentially this would be the 1D4,

albeit in full frame. Personally, since I do most of my work with telephotos, I'd prefer the

1.3X crop factor of the 1D3. YMMV.

It just seems that Canon needs to rethink the 1 series line in general. They do not make any lenses for the 1.3 format. The 1.6 format does have one wide 10-22 and a nice 17-55 IS. It just seems like the 40D with battery grip is more versatile with lenses if 6.5 fps is fast enough.

Mark, if Canon can squeeze 4 fps out of 16mp and 5 fps out of 21mp, why not 8 out of 13 for new 5D2? They have iso 6400 on a 1.3 sensor but can't do that for a larger full frame sensor at 13mp? The problem is, the 1D series line has run it's course now that Nikon has products that can compete. And Canon realizes this. Harsh sounding maybe, but competition is a good thing.

If you need 10 fps then you need it, the 1D3 is an excellent camera..however, forget going wider than 18mm for landscape (with 14 2.8 lens) or longer on tele's than say a 40D.

"If you need 10 fps then you need it, the 1D3 is an excellent camera..however, forget going wider than 18mm for landscape (with 14 2.8 lens) or longer on tele's than say a 40D."

I think that people need to remember that the 1D3 was fundamentally designed as a sports camera - so first priority is to get something that's fast. If you can get the MP count up without affecting too many other things (like noise) then great, but speed comes first. Having said that, the 1D3 has also now morphed into something else: In addition to being tuned for sports, by virtue of the fact that it's MP count is more than adequate for most - high ISO performance is more than adequate for most etc we now have a situation where it's gone from being sports-oriented to a VERY versatile all rounder.

This doesn't mean to say that it's perfect in all other areas - the obvious limitation is UWA - but for that it can be argued we have the 1Ds3.

In terms of lenses, for that very reason (1Ds3) I maintain that the current lens selection is just fine.

I am interested in Canon's response to Nikon - hard to say just how urgent it is though - existing 1D shooters are unlikely to jump camp in a hurry for 2 reasons (1) Lens investment and (2) inertia (the Nikon offering may have some advantages over Canon in some areas - but nothing so compelling that it's going to make the majority of 1D owners sell up and jump ship - at the end of the day both cameras do a damn fine job).

Should be an interesting year :)

Colin, I`ve noticed you mention 11/412 shots a couple of times now, is this an average from a days shooting, more shots taken or a total, like was at 10fps 412 shots 41 secs well short burst, I believe the frame rate adjusable (or not) so if it is like 5fps, does the 1D3 perform better, I found a 1D2 at 8fps gave far more shots at a Karate tournament than needed (bout 12k in 3 days).

<I>Mark, if Canon can squeeze 4 fps out of 16mp and 5 fps out of 21mp, why not 8 out of

13 for new 5D2?</I><P>

I'm sure they could. But I'm also fairly certain that it would cost 2X or more than what the 5D

sells for, and hence wouldn't be aimed at the same market as the 5D.

Part of my point is that Canon has to change their price points and features because of the excellent competition. They had the only full frame dslr and fastest dslr's for over the past 7 years. So, they could charge us a premium. That no longer exists. A Nikon D3 with 12-24, 50 1.4, 70-200 combo is hard to pass up for 8 grand as opposed to 1Ds3 body only. If you've played with a D3 you would understand that it has a ton of excellent features. I'm shocked as to how well it works, and to see images on the HD screen is true joy. I will give Canon time to respond b/c I do like their lenses better overall.

I realize I have been harsh on the 1 series cameras, but it comes from playing with my buddy's D3. It is excellent for the price and if I were in the market for a new system that needed high fps, it would be hard to pass up. However, like Colin said, if you have a lot of great Canon glass, then the 1D3 is a great camera and will do a fantastic job for you..

<I> then the 1D3 is a great camera and will do a fantastic job for you..</I><P>

Most of the time, at least. There is continuing controversy over its performance in AI-servo

in bright light. That aside, the D3 is no doubt a wonderful camera, but it is also a $5,000

camera, and so would a '5D2' with comparable features.