Please help me learn

What about those of us who really want to know how to improve our photos and

what is good or bad. How do we know if we do not get any or very few critiques.

I do not care if I get a 1/ 1 as long as some one tells me what is wrong with my

photo and how to improve.I want honest ratings and constructive comments. I have

been commenting on others photos because I like the photos even though I do not

know much about composition or aesthetics. I just know what looks good to me.

Also I thought that the only way to get people to look and comment on my photos

is to look and comment on theirs,and it does seem to be working, though I wish

that I would get more constructive criticism.Isn't that how we learn. Some of my

photos I know can be a lot better but I am still learning. What amazes me is

when some one can tell right away that the photo has been PS. I do not have it

so I am very limited as to what I can post process. I have Picasa2 and it is

very basic. I seriously want to learn how to improve. I bought a book by John

Shaw "Nature photography field guide" and it is very informative.

L

Problem is that everybody on this site is gun shy. Often, if you suggest in any way that a photo is not the best photo you have ever seen in your life, the photographer exacts revenge with nasty comments or low ratings on your photos.

Still, don't be too eager to trust what people here say about your pictures. There is a lot of bad advice given. Find photos you like and figure out what you like about them. Analyze them. Read books and magazines. And, most importantly, be brutally critical of yourself. Pick your own photos apart and try to figure out what you could have done to make them better, then do that next time.

I would also think about joining a good camera club, or simply asking around who is

keenly involved in photography (some good photo stores know what is going on

locally), or visiting a local college art or photography department, to identify and

pꞲhaps meet those persons who would be interested in looking at your work. Face

to face discussions may not be perfect, but at least you can more easily establish the

interest of the others and understand where the person might be coming from in his

or her comments.

If you have a college near by, see if they have night classes or "lifelong learning"-type classes on composition, art appreciation, etc. I've learned a lot from these classes.<br>

<br>

The Internet has a wealth of information...I just Googled "photo composition", and <a href=http://photoinf.com/>this site</a> was at the top of the list. <br>

<br>

As far as post processing, you don't have to drop $600 on PS. I used PaintShop Pro for years. Both it and Photoshop Elements are very good and very inexpensive. Or, if you have some association with an educational institution (and that may simply be having a child in school), you may be able to buy PS at academic prices. This brings it down to about $200. It's a bit of work establishing your eligibility, but it was worth it to me. But given where it sounds like you're at, either PSP or PSE would be a better place to start.

cher, I think the best way to get positive criticism and advice on PN is to find people on PN whose work you like and then comment on their latest uploads (ratings as well if you want but comments are much more important) . A small proportion will respond with comments on your photos. If you keep going you will soon build up a rapport with s variety of people and get feedback on your shots.

Hi Cher,

I have taught photography for many years and I would be very glad to help you with copies of some of my teaching lectures on the Art Of Seeing. If you are interested let me know where to email them to you. Contact me at: arnkap@comcast.net

Arnold John Kaplan, APSA-AIAP

HI Cher,

From a newbie standpoint, I am going thru the same thing. I have found a series of books from pwsbooks.com. This from a website called photoworkshop.com. The have a 5 or 6 book series that covers all the basic info you could want. They also have "assignments" where you can shoot a given theme, upload your results for critique. I haven't gone that far, but I have 3 if the books now, and it has been worth every penny too me. Also, one if the simplest and free things you can do, is to make yourself a set of "squares", like what a carpenter would use. 2 "L" shaped pieces of cardboard that you can use as a makeshift picture frame, just slide them around to various dimensions. You could even mark them to standard dimensions. this will allow you to hold them over you shots or monitor to judge various croppings. Helps me a bunch with composition, and is very quick to do, & I think it has helped a bunch with learning what to leave in or take out of a certain shots. Way faster than trying it on the computer, and is light and easy to carry in the field as well. The books are truly about taking the photo, no pushing of one brand over another, no "this is the only software to use" or any of that crap.

Jim

Cher:

I took a look through your photos and here are my 2 cents:

On your bird and flower shots, your backgrounds tend to be too distracting. Try a longer lens to isolate your subject and better blur the background or change your viewpoint. Also with flowers, only shoot those that are perfect. Nothing ruins a flower shot like a damaged or missing petal.

On your animal shots, try getting down to the level of the animal you're shooting rather than shooting from above.

When I started out, I used to look at photos in newspapers and magazines that caught my eye and tried to figure out what it was about them that I liked. I also do the reverse sometimes and try to figure out why exactly I don't like a particular image and how I might shoot it differently.

Good luck

Bruce

Hey Cher,

Wow! It's so nice when somebody is so refreshingly honest. I attend Photography school

so I know where you are coming from with not knowing where you stand (exactly) and

wanting to improve. Some times I wish my teachers were more gun shy with me, because

it's hard to get that kind of harsh criticism about your artwork sometimes. Anyway, I

wanted to recommend a book that might help you through these growing pains as an

artist. It's called the Tao of Photography. This book helped me to let go and not be so

concerned with the final result but more with just what I am doing at that moment. It's

so easy to get lost in the details (focus, aperture, shutter speed, composition, etc) and

forget why you are actually there in the first place. Remember the ONLY way to get better

is by "pushing that darn button!"

Good Luck!

Joseph

Cher,

Picasa is not good, but PS is excellent. Try to get PS and start learning it (I know its not so easy but at the same time its not so difficult). Google for different terminology of photography and read them carefully. Tonns of information is available in the net.

How about a critique that doesn't give reasons ? That's quicker...

The bad photos:

Winter Shadows, Old Barn in Field, Barn and Mountains, Vermont Farm, Boxing, Topless, Grounded, and Hungary Chickadee...

The good photos:

After a Storm, Winter Scene, Ice, Little _ River (but unfortunately with turquoise sky), Tiny Beauty (but a little soft), What Tizit, Leaves on the Water, Spider Web, Autumn Calm, and any of the flowers...

The masterpieces:

Winterscape...