shopping in uk

wisdom_tong

I second Ken on that. I was there yesterday, and by far it is the cheapest 'walk-in' store that compares with the best/cheapest online prices.<br><br>An added bonus is that it is situated yards away from the British Museum ~ always a photographer friendly place with great photo oppurtunities!

If you are in south Yorkshire you can try Harrison Cameras- Sheffield- London Rd. Or just call 01382568456 Digital-4-u.co.uk shop. The best deal you can get on any Canon EOS body, Canon Lens and Sigma. I always shop from them. Today got my 17-85 IS USM with Hoya CP for 290 including super fast delivery. You will get only made in JP version. That means no cash back offer no UK warranty. However they will take care. IMO this is the best you can get.

I'm not that keen on warehouse express, every time I've tried to buy something costing more than a few ponds, they have been out of stock. Of course they didn't tell me that when I ordered.

I've used Calumet, ajpurdey and park cameras, and been pleased with their prices and service.

Pete

Just a thought, they don't call it rip-off Britain for nothing, check with your prices at home first. And if you are from outside the EU, make sure you claim VAT back, take that into account when calculating prices.

P

Hi,

I recently got a real good bargain from Amazon UK. I never before thought of checking them out for photo gear, but I found a brand new Sigma 50-150mm for only 250 GBP (prior new price 450-490 GBP), as the new version two is now out. I was a little surprised to see that I was buying it from calumet!

cheers Steve.M.

I guess it all depends if you want to visit the shop personally or get it online. Online, just do a search for the camera model etc. in Google (remember to select UK sites) and there will be several sites to tempt you. These are a few I have dealt with OK.

www.ajpurdy.co.uk/erol.html#1X0

www.acecameras.co.uk/asp/web/ph/cat/prodtype/1545/prodtype.asp

www.srsmicrosystems.co.uk/

I always prefer to go into a shop to speak to a salesperson. If you are only here in the UK for a short time then it would probably pay to go to one of the larger stores. One of the best for price is the John Lewis group. Jessops is also good although not cheapest.

Good luck

Reliable and cheap in the UK? That's a tough one. I mostly use www.abc-digital-cameras.co.uk who are in Burgess Hill, Sussex. I have heard that Bristol Cameras are good but haven't used them myself.

It would appear that UK pounds and US dollars are about equal when it comes to purchasing camera equipment so don't expect a bargain anywhere here.

Steven,

If warehouseexpress isn't the cheapest, why don't you suggest a few actual places that are cheaper, as opposed to just saying there are cheaper places? We need some examples. Come on, I would love to save a few pounds! I am waiting....

In my experience, there's no one place that has the best prices for everything. Among those that I have used satisfactorily are ASK (big shop at the south end of Tottenham Court Road), T4 Cameras, Bristol Cameras, A J Purdy, Warehouse Express, and, yes, even Jessops on occasion. The place that has all those hard-to-find accessories on the shelf is York Cameras, in Bury Place just opposite the British Museum, but their prices are not generally competitive for widely-available items.

Pick up a current issue of Amateur Photographer magazine and check out the ads for current offers, as well as phone numbers to check stock availability. Beware that the current Canon cashback offers only apply if you are an EU/EEA resident and have a local bank account.

Hiya,

David, I recently did a search for several quite specific Canon items and started with warehouse express as a starting point. I always consider mint condition used items also..this is a way to save LOTS of money.

I found an AS NEW & unused 40D (boxed with all items) at MXV for 590 GBP, they sell all used gear, but lots is mint and hardly used.

I found a new Sigma 50-150 at Amazon UK for 250 GBP, being sold by Calumet...there were other lenses at very good prices too.

I found the cheapest for several, but not all lenses (new) was digital depot. Also there are now an increasing amount of UK sellers on ebay selling new gear at cheaper prices....and not via Hong Kong either!

I also found some items cheaper at SRS and also some cheaper new items at Norfolk camera centre (ie Canon 24-104 L for 629 GBP) also Park cameras often beat warehouse express...and camera world often do too...

cheers Steve.M.

It certainly pays to shop around in the UK and, as others have mentioned, some outlets will be cheap for Sigma but expensive for Canon; or the other way around. Cheap for lenses but dear for cameras, etc.

I have just been looking around and thinking about getting a good value Canon 30D body. Thought I might get a bargain now that the 40D is getting popular. The result so far: Best prices for new 30D ranged between GBP 488 from camera box to 650 from Amazon. But I can get a new 40D for 600 (inc. Canon cashback) from AJ Purdy or ABC digital cameras. And I am getting tempted!

We don't know which model Wisdom is looking for, so the simple answer is, without any super large photographic companies here, just search out today's best buys from as wide a range of suppliers as possible.

Steven,

Thanks for the advice. I guess I am a bit paranoid about buying from dodgy dealers. What I look for is a combo of good prices and reputation, just in case I need to return something. Glad to know you have had success with the places you mentioned and I will certainly remember them!