Mike Johnston's Review of the Zeiss Ikon ZI

Well, okay. Nice chatty review. My one wish is that the ZI could take a motor or Rapidwinder.

I should mention that after the cover started to melt in my hand (yeah, really) I sent it to

Camera Leather. Morgan says it ready now, outfitted with a new Black Beauty cover.

"The Zeiss Ikon is an improved Leica."

I fully agree. After nine months of using a ZI borrowed by Zeiss I sold my M7 without any regret and bought a ZI body. The best three things are: the finder, the finder, the finder. To avoid Leica detox I still have a M6 classic ;-)

Motor? Rapidwinder? If I need a machine gun with 8 shots per second I grab my D300.

:-)

I agree with Alex. The motor is a great feature for an M. But, I have to say I DO like the look of the Zeiss though. I am also unusual (or so it seems) in that I use the 135mm lens and would miss losing that frame. On the other hand, the improved viewing with the other lenses might be a worthwhile sacrifice given that I do have the 135mm Leitz external viewfinder.
Robin Smith

Having had an M7 and now moved to the Zeiss I can agree with all his observations. The M7 did have a feel to it that eluded to something carved from solid metal ... the Ikon definitely feels pressed and molded in comparison.

The viewfinder of the Ikon is it's strong point IMO! :)