best zoom lens for price?

jhphotography1

Hello John,

First, I would recommend that you buy a Canon lens rather than a third party brand. The Canon lens will better hold its value should you decide to upgrade in the future (which you surely will as your financial status improves):)

A Canon 75-300f/4.5-5.6 III would be well within your price range. Take a look at B&H's listing here: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=search&A=search&Q=&sb=bs%2Cupper%28ds%29&sq=asc&ac=&bsi=&bhs=t&shs=&ci=8454&at=Lens+Type_Zoom+Telephoto&at=Price_+125+%3C%3D++%3C%3D+199.99&basicSubmit=Submit+Query

You will notice a used one for $119. If you click on it you will see "Email for Condition" which means the lens is Canon refurbished which equals like new condition for a bargain price.

Second, Bob Atkins has an excellent overview of Canon lenses for new Canon DSLR owners here: http://bobatkins.com/photography/digital/10d300dlenses.html definitely worth reading to give you a good idea of what to expect in lens performance.

Finally, I hope M Barbu's sarcastic and useless comments will not inhibit you from seeking future advice from photonet.

I have been using the 75-300 USM for a liitle over a year on an XTI. I wouldn't recommend it except in cases of financial limitations like yours, and then only if you can't wait until you can afford a better quality lens. It does a good (not great)job most of the time, but is quite soft especially at 300mm. You can checkout my porfolio for wildlife shots I've taken with it. The Redtailed Hawk shots were taken from about 12-15 feet away while it was feeding, then sitting on a post. Not as sharp as I would like, but you can decide for yourself.

Hello Michael,

Just been looking at your nice portfolio. Your pictures are a great example of what can be achieved using modest equipment. I especially like "Feeding time" and "Swallows on a fence"; the butterfly shots are also excellent. I would not agonize over any perceived lack of sharpness, all that that takes is money; lighting and composition are far more important, as you so ably demonstrate.

anyway, i believe i have narrowed it down to the canon ef-75-300 and the sigma 70-300dg apo

as of right now i am leaning towards the sigma, simply because of the countless reviews i have seen saying that the canon lens is for the most part extremely soft and the sigma is much more sharp.

if anybody else has some input that could sway my decision pleas let me know!

i am taking into consideration what John Hanlon said about the canon keeping it's value better... im just curious if it has the same/better performance as the sigma.

i happened to stumble across a forum on the web this morning where somebody was asking the same question as me (deciding between the sigma and canon) and it was an almost unanimous decision to go for the sigma.

normally that would make me want to go for the sigma right away but now the "canon will hold its value better" fact is sitting in the back of my head...

any help!?

thank you!

Wait a bit longer and save some more money; then get the Canon 70-300 IS. You will end up getting that lens eventually so it will work out cheaper in the long run to wait until you can afford it. I think it is one of the best value for money zooms and you won't be disappointed with it.

Hello John,

My recommendation to buy Canon was just that, a recommendation; please don't have any nagging doubts over anything I said! Also, I did not mean to imply that that the Canon would perform better than the Sigma. On the basis of the higher price (you get what you pay for) and the B&H user reviews, you would probably be happier with the Sigma. Thinking about it, I guess the resale value of either lens wouldn't be that high anyway.

Actually, after futher consideration I would echo Geoff Foale's excellent advice and save up for the Canon 70-300 IS, you would certainly would not regret it.

Good Canon lenses usually hold their value fairly well. This is not the case for the 75-300: even on ebay, where buyers often overpay for lenses generally, expect to lose around 30% if you decide to resell it immediately.

While I certainly agree that the Canon 75-300 IS would be preferable to the Sigma, for the

budget you suggest, I would not hesitate to consider the Sigma. I own three Canon lenses.

I am not at all against Canon glass, but in this case,I think you might be surprised what

can be had for around $200. I own the Sigma and have had very good success with it. It

certainly has its limitations, but what sub $200 lens doesn't? It has a very effective macro

feature that I did not expect along with some accessories for which Canon charges extra-

lens case, lens hood.

I am pleased with mine and encourage you to look into it!

When I moved from my Elan IIe to the xti, my 28-135IS lens became a great medium tele and my main lens. I know it's more than you want to spend but lenses don't really wear out and you'll kick yourself for not getting the better equipment the first tme around