Lowepro Vertex 200 AV vs Tamrac Expedition 6x

john_graham5

Hello all

I am considering a new camera backpack and have narrowed down my choice to the

two mentioned in the subject.

From your experiec, which is the best? I think the Tamrac Expedition 6x is

quite new so I hope someone has experience with it already.

The LowePro is heavier and the Tamrac a little cheaper.

Both bags have the laptop bag in the top flap. Does this not make it top heavy

and is it not better to have the laptop next to your back?

Thanks in advance

John

I used to use a Tamrac Expedition 5, I changed to the Lowepro Vertex 200 AW about a year ago needing a slightly larger pack. I considered the cheaper Expedition 7 which is the same size, but did not find it as well designed or comfortable.

Even though the Lowepro is larger and somewhat heavier than my old Tamrac, I find it far more comfortable in use, due largely to the harness system which is way better than the Tamrac had; it also comes with the all-weather (AW) cover. All the pockets, inside and out, are very practical, even down to the tripod support which I have found to be pretty useless on other packs.

I use the 'laptop' section to carry a beanbag and refreshments etc (ideal). I would only actually carry my laptop in it if I were traveling, but I see no problem there, it is well padded - I would be more worried with it next to the back, due to the weight of equipment in the pack exerting too much pressure on it.

I bought my Vertex while Lowepro had a 'cashback' offer on, so the price difference over the Tamrac was not so great, even so after using it for a while I would certainly make the same decision now. I have not seen an Expedition 6x - indeed there is no such item currently on the UK website?

I have both Tamrac and LowePro bags, although not these particular models. IMO, LowePro bags have a better build quality and more protection for your gear. Tamrac bags tend to have more useable space for the same sized bag (less padding).

Thinktank bags are better than either, at least for travel if not overnight hiking. (q.v., http://thinktankphoto.com)

Putting a laptop on the outside takes less space, particularly if you can remove the part that holds the laptop. If you actually carry a laptop, it is protected better and has better weight distribution if the pocket is located on the back.

Unless faced by draconian carry-on restrictions (the UK and Southwest Airlines in the US and tour buses), I carry my laptop in a separate bag and use the computer pocket in my backpack(s) for other things like maps, Color Checker charts, etc.