Onboard D300 flash

linda_roina

I recently used my D300 and the onboard flash. After taking about 25 pictures the camera would no

longer take a picture. I waited about 2 minutes and then it resumed taking photos. What would be the

cause of this? I'm sure it should be able to buffer several pictures.

Kinda like the Shark vacuum cleaner. A high performance sucking machine, but runs hot. It'll shut down to protect itself from overheating.

Unfortunately the SB-800 doesn't seem to offer a similar protective circuit, altho' I wouldn't want the flash deciding when it will or won't operate. But it means the photographer must be alert to avoid overheating the flash through continuous usage in rapid fire shooting situations.

I'd love it if the flash did this, provided it did a warning first. It has a beeper, so a little chirp when it's 10 degrees from thermal shut down, a bigger beep when it's 5 degrees.

I have to disagree with Steppenwolf "I like smoke and lightning, heavy metal thunder". I don't like overheating anything that combines reactive chemicals and high voltages.

I had an old generic auto-thyristor flash that emitted a loud *POP!* and a puff of smoke while using it on a 100F degree day in Florida. The thing was nearly 20 years old so I figured it had done its job.

Damn thing still works and is accurate, according to my flash meter.

Frank, if Nikon manuals readily answered every question nobody would ask questions about the SB-800. That manual is notoriously badly organized, especially regarding use of multiple CLS flash where the manual resorts to circuitous logic and doesn't address some critical info.

Lol, some of the responses in this thread remind me of some goofing around I did when I

was a kid with a flash I had, which was to set it on full manual and set it off with a sheet of

paper up against the front surface of the flash lens. I could get the paper to brown, then

smoke. 1/r^2 is an interesting phenomenon.