Ciro-flex

gene m

Hello,

Yes, the Ciro-Flex is a real sleeper of of a camera. I have gone through many and slod them to happy students. If you are set on getting one though, try to find the later models, as most (not all) will have the Rapax shutter. The Velloastigmat, is the same lens put on Ansco Automatic Reflex' and is a very good performer. What it lacks in sharpness, they made up for in coverage, and so at 85mm it takes the hot spot form the center, so the edges are nice and sharp. Also, as a three element Cook Triplet, it gives very good contrast as shown in the pictures. Not bad for a 30 dollar camera. Also, these cameras are pretty simple and can be worked on for around 50 dollars.

I still shoot with the Ciro-flex Model F I inherited from my father more than 50 years ago. My camera was made in '53, and I've been using it off and on since '64.

The Raptar lens is amazing sharp and the Rapax shutter remains fairly accurate today.

Thanks for the pictures, Gene, they are up to your usual standard of excellence.

<Chas>

Hi Gene,

I'm another suppporter of the Ciro-Flex for a cheap but good entry into world of MF. It worked for me, my g/f's late father's CF is what gave me the bigger-film-is-better bug.

A couple additions to your page:

1. Ciro did make a 35mm camera, but I don't know any more than that. A Google search should find bunches of info on it.

2. I *think* I read somewhere that the CF production was around 250,000 units. Seems everybody has one in their attic. If price were based on quality of the results, and if not for the glut of CF units that just seem to keep oozing out of peole's attics, I'm sure they'd bring a better price than $30.

Doug Grosjean

Ciro's 35mm (appropriately named the Ciro 35) does not have (for me) the charm of the CiroFlex.... in its day though it was an apt counterpart, a modest but capable coupled-rangefinder 35. The 35 neither began nor ended with Ciro: Ciro bought the dies for the Perfex "Cee-Ay 35" when Perfex bit the dust, and just gave it a light facelift. When Graflex bought Ciro, the 'Flex just got a mild facelift but the Ciro 35 got a real going over and emerged as the very pretty (but really no more capable, and ergonomically disappointing) Graphic 35.

• 3 weeks later...
The Ciroflex is a great example of outstanding "low-tech" engineering. It could be made from lower-cost materials (i.e. less precisely machined) and lower-cost assembly labor, yet a solid performing product with some nice features like the fresnel and mirror, overall focusing quality.