Your comments pls. - Comments on Portrait Images

gy

Hi Gokce,

Number three is a great picture: good exposure, nice slightly surreal looking background and very pretty girl posing in a slightly mischievous way. Pics 1 & 4 suffer from her top being too bright relative to everything else (must wear something darker next time) and 2 & 5 are just good snaps.

There's nothing missing as such - it's just that number three had everything come together well and looks to the viewer as if it was well thought out. The others not quite so much.

James

Hi Gokce,

I agree with the comments of James and Edmund above. I might add that the white balance appears from my end to be on the cool side and that also might work against a fine exposure of the white sweater. If you shot RAW I'd try a WB adjustment up 500 deg k or thereabouts. The skin tones also appear a little pale also

Great composition. The fill light is a little hot as it has been noted. Her skin tone really picks up the fill-in. Never the less I do like the combination of her in the middle of a fall road. Very nice creative choices for the portraits.

Cheers,

I agree that the number 3 came out pretty well. And yes, the bright top made exposure

more tricky. This is my fiance and we went out to a local park to have a walk and I had my

camera with me. It was 4-5 pm afternoon and sun was setting from between the tress and

there was a very warm light.. I wanted to take some couple pic's but in short time I filled

my 4gb CF card :) I enjoyed very much.. I did give some vignetting to some images and

darkened the background just a touch to bring out the face with the warm light.

After trying to get the exposures, focus, background right and also looking for which pose

works best.. I now understand that portrait photography is harder than it seems :)

I too like #3 the best, but I probably would have shot a vertical (portrait orientation) instead.

I would pay attention to the type of shadows in #2. Usually that type of effect is not pleasing. If possible, I would put a large diffuser above the subject.

Also I would like to hear which picture settings in D300 would u recommend to use in this

kind of shootings ? My camera was set to D2X mode 3 but didnt like the results, than switch

to Vivid but ended up in Standart sharpness set to 6. All other settings was standart.

Gokse

These are a good start. As most have already said #3 is the best. It is the best because it has the best light (softest in this case).

Your other pictures have light that is too hard. Either those where you use straight on fill flash or the one with the sunlight filtering through the hair. You can fix that a couple of ways.

To get softer light:

first option

For the fill flash get a mini softbox to soften the light from your flash that will help. Alternatively (only works inside) horizontal light spreader (google "gary fong")

Second option

In the case of the light filtering through the hair. Use a white card (white faom core 32x40) to bounce light back into the face from th opposite direction this lighten the shadows but also soften the edges.

In practice you need a helper to hold the card. If you are richer, I suggest, a collapsible round reflector, with a holder and stand (no need for a helper).

Option three soften the light by using a diffusing panel.

Photoflex makes a lot of this stuff and is good quality. They have lots of examples on their site of what to do. You don't have to buy from them.

Finally, if your the type who likes to understand why and want to fully understand light, get "light science and magic by hunter,biver and fuqua". It's not technical but teaches you all about light.

You have a good eye. With a little work you will add that missing element that will make your good pictures into great ones.

Good Luck

Edmond

I thought they were decent shots. Aside from the exposure issues mentioned by other posters, my only criticism would be that there seems to be too much negative space above her head. That is, it seems as though you were using the center focusing point, aiming it at her face, and firing the shutter. Instead, you should use the upper focus point, or use the center one and lock the focus (press the shutter half way), aim the camera downward a bit to get more of her in the frame and eliminate the empty space above her head, THEN fire the shutter.

Edmond, thank you for the kind comments. Im aware some of the issues in the pic's.. My

next plan will be trying reflectors / diffusers. I know its a much better idea in some

circumstances against using flash.

I checked the book you refer to and it's not in Amazon's stocks but ships via other resellers.

unfortunately they dont ship to Azerbaijan..

The light is very good, unfortunately I haven't been able to enjoy suh light in a while...

I prefer #5 due to the light and the pose, most of the others I think are overposed or have harsh contrast. I guessed that it would be someone close to you by the way she looks :-) But being a pro model is different...try more natural poses, it's easy with someone you're comfortable with.

And you can start very simply, even no flash when shooting outdoors. It's better to keep things simple and master the natural light, OTOH relflectors and flashes can give a nice fill.

I like numbers 3 and 4. They are maybe a little bit over-posed, but look pretty natural anyway. I shoot a lot of portraits outdoors and I've always liked the light just after the sun goes down, while the sky is still very light. The direction of the light is important, like coming through an opening in the trees or whatever. Open shade is nice and soft for photographing women as well. See my folders for examples.