no lens creep at local store

justin_ngo

I have checked and tested the Nikon 18-200mmm at a local store at my area (

Missouri, US). The lens is great,(I think it much much better than the 2 kits

lens for the same settings), the zoom is very solid and especialy, DOES NOT

CREEP ! I tried to hold it vertically,up & down, try do make the zoom draw back

or extend at various ranges but it did not!

The only thing is that the price included tax is $US 800 ($ 120 more than well-

known stores in NY included shipping).

Does non-creeping worth the different amount? Should I get the copy at the

local store or take a try at B&H ( which I'm not sure that I will get a non-

creeping copy) ????

I would greatly appreciated your advice.

Best regards,

Thank you so much for all your advices. I did not know that the lens will creep when getting aged, even it does not creep when new.You all saved my $. Very helpful.Thanks a lot!!

I will order a copy from BH and hope they will give me a very good one.

Cheers,

Heck, don't sell it just because it might creep. If the optical performance is good enough, keep it.

My 70-210/2.8-4 Vivitar Series 1 zoom creeps. But I couldn't buy a better equivalent zoom for the money ($60 at a pawn shop about 10 years ago).

Both copies of the 28-90 Series 1 varifocal creeped, OM and Canon FD mounts. Only reason I sold 'em was because I switched to Nikon. Excellent lenses for the money.

The 35-70/2.8D AF Nikkor can creep, tho' not badly. It's way too good to worry about a minor problem like a little creeping. And the overall barrel length doesn't change much, so it's no big deal.

Thanks Lex... I'm just joking. I'm ordering one copy from BH after I were very impressive about its optical performance. I hope I will get a good copy. The copy at my local store was very good, I think. However the price+tax is much more higher.

At a local store, I took a couple sample pictures with : Nikkor 18-200, Tamron 18-200, Tamron 17-50mm f 2.8.

The result: Nikkor 18-200 was very little less sharper than the Tamron f2.8 but far more sharper than Tamron 18-200. ( setting at f3.5 and 17/18mm)

I think Nikon 18-200 is sharper than 18-55non-VR and 55-200VR I owned before. I think VR II is great.