Nikkor 18-200 extends with gravity

gej_jones

1st - I'd like to thank all you who respond to questions. My wife purchased a

D40X as a retirement gift (teaching for 37 years). I?m having a wonderful time

and thanks to you, I learn daily from you as I read the Nikon Forum. Thank you!

My question: Yesterday when I tilted my camera toward the ground, the lens

extended without "me" turning anything. I stopped the extension but when I let

go, it continued to the maximum extension. I haven't banged or dropped the

lens. Everything seems to work well but I'm concerned. Any suggestions would

be helpful.

Gej

Alas, it's part of the design. It's one of the reasons that lens isn't larger, heavier, and more expensive still. As Hans says, put the lens at 18mm, and the zoom tube will stay put as you walk about. A look-down view from tripod can, of course, result in some zooming-in you didn't plan. But since this lens was really meant to be a handheld, walk-about lens, and is just large enough that your natural way to use it is with your left hand under the lens and holding it by/near the zoom ring, it's really less of an issue that it might otherwise be.

While it is normal, I have found that it has actually got worse as it has aged. I sent mine back to Nikon after 2 years and they rebuilt the lens. When I received it back it had exactly the same creep as before I sent it. I too was told that it was normal and that the lens was acting as designed. Although the 18-200 is not one of Nikon's most expensive lens, for $700, it is still quite annoying. However, it is now a very clean lens, once again. Use the tape or rubber band, as described above!

The best solution to this issue I have found so far is to take several strips of electrical tape and tape them to the outermost part of the lens barrel, so that they are parallel to the length of the lens. This provides enough friction (so far) to keep the lens from creeping without making it hard to use or requiring constant readjustment, as was the case with the rubber band "fix."

Very annoying. Since some copies of this don't creep, this appears to be something they could have prevented. But it's not something they seem to repair, as mine was also sent in for a repair and, after six weeks, it came back with creep unaltered.