My question is about saving files.

I just started using RAW files and I have PS elements 6.

My question is this.

I am having trouble understanding why my file sizes shrink so much going from

RAW files at around 10mb to under 1mb after saving the files as jpeg.

I save the editing of the files in TIFF and JPEG - I am not sure what I am

doing wrong. I figured the JPEG files would shrink and the TIFF files get

larger when saving layers. I am not cropping any of my photos.

If anyone can explain to me how to save some of my photos in JPEG without

losing that much file size I would certainly appreciate it.

take care,

Mike

If I understand your question, you're asking why JPEG files are smaller than other, noncompressed formats?

The answer is that JPEG uses very aggressive compression, even throwing away information (e.g., colors in deep shadows, which look all gray anyway) to do it.

For quality processing, you need the raw form. For a final use, such as posting on the web, JPEG is the correct choice.

I understand that JPEG files get compressed. I was just wondering if there was a way to decrease the amount of compression from a 10mb raw file down to about a 2mb jpeg file.

I do most of my photo ordering on line right now.

Most of the places that do my work use only jpeg.

What would you guys suggest I do about ordering prints online.

Which file format works the best or should I say what do you recommend I save the files as aftering editing in Photoshop?

Tom - I just want to be able to blow up some of the photos to an 8X10 or 13X20.

thanks again.

take care,

Mike

When you save your JPEG you'll be presented with a dialogue box that lets you choose the quality level. If you're saving at highest quality (12) and getting files of that size then no, there's nothing else you can do.

Question is why save as both TIFF and JPEG? Save your edited RAW files as TIFF files with all layers intact and then if you need a JPEG for some purpose later, create it from the TIFF.

I found out why my files were being saved at such a small value in JPEG.

When I was testing out the camera I had captured some of the RAW files in sRaw - The original files were only about 6mb. Hence when saving the files to JPEG they are only about 600kb. The 12mb files are being saved at around 2.5mb.

Thanks for all of the help

Ahh. You should keep an eye on the x and y pixel dimensions of your images, too. And/or the percent zoomed when the image is scaled to fit, with either your photo editor or one of the myriad of image viewer programs out there. The latter programs will typcally default to showing your x and y pixel dimensions, and a few other statistics.