650-2600mm Lens for Nikon Digital

scooter0071

I see these on Ebay all the time. Now I know I cant expect a lot for as cheap as

they are but my budget is very tight. Are these lenses a total waste of my money

or are they acceptable for the price? Here is a link to an ebay listing with a

simular lens I am looking at.

Ok so it wont let me put an ebay link, you can search ebay with the text I used

in the subject to see the lens I am talking about.

Agree totally with Sean....stay away !! I had picked a similar lens 3-4 years ago ('telephoto' adaptor for my Minolta point and shoot) and it was utter thrash. With a tight bugdet, one needs to make every dollar count, so invest on quality equipment even if means postponing that investment a bit.

Aside from cheap glass the problem with these lenses is usually that they have a pretty small maximum aperture. The closest I could find on ebay with a quick look was a 420-1600 and at 800mm that one has a maximum aperture of f16. To get it to 1600 it uses a teleconvertor which is going to cost you at least a stop. So at 1600mm you are working with a maximum aperture of f22. Given that, you had better have a pretty good tripod or be filming the sun because there isn't going to be much light getting through that lens.

If you have money to throw away and need some entertaiment, why not just flush twenty dollar bills down the toilet? At least you'd be saving shipping charges. It's the old story, if it looks too good to be true......

Kent in SD