Rollei 4x4 Shutter

michaelyoung

Hello,

I bought a "new" baby Rollei a few weeks ago. I say "new" because it looks

like it has never been used.

The shutter has worked fine but now the film advance dial just spins without

any resistance at any time and the shutter doesn't work.

Have I broken it? Am I missing something? Should I send it for repair?

Thank You

Thank you for the link! It is behaving stangely and truth be told it probably needs to go somewhere for service anyway despite its unblemished looks; its 51 years old according to the serial number.

Long story short, the shutter is behaving strangely and probably needs to be recalibrated anyway, so I'll send it off.

Thanks again.

A film must be loaded because it's designed to wind the leader in continuously until the film thickness trips the frames spacer and counter interlock. If you have a film loaded then it sounds as if there's a problem. But I recall that there's a further small interlock in the film compartment activated by the film new spool .... Hmmmm! I'll dig mine out - I need to use it soon. AC

Anothony, your links don't work for me.

My Grey Baby did the same thing and I'm in the process of repairing it.

Should the shutter not be possible to release even if the frame counter isn't working? On mine, the shutter cocks when I turn the knob, then the knob just turns and turns and you see the linkage that cocks the shutter moving up and down against no resistance. Remember also, the hood must be open to release the shutter.

OK, I've just re-located mine and am re-aquainting myself with it. Simply stated, for the camera to function a film needs to be loaded (and the back closed).

With the back open, holding-in the 'tabs' visible on the rhs of the camera (eg with a thumbnail) will simulate having a film loaded, and will engage the various mechanisms (shutter cocking, frame spacing, counter). There is also a shutter lock activated by the hood. A few minutes of such 'twiddling' should reveal if the shutter cocking mechanism (and release) is working. Checking speeds is obviously a different issue. Andrew's web pages should give you further clarification if necessary. AC

• 5 months later...