Canon Price Breaks - Are these regular occurances?

winn

This fall/winter some Canon items were on sale including the 580EX flash and

the 70-200mm f/2.8 IS lens. I was able to purchase the flash but did not have

the cash for the 70-200 lens. Now I have the cash, but the lens is now full

price ($1700 vs $1469). I thought I read here that Canon has price breaks twice

a year - is this true? If so, does anyone know the odds of the 70-200 f2.8 IS

being one of the discounted items? Thanks....

I bought the 70-200mm 2.8L IS for $1469 deal. man what an incredible lens, and it is kinda heavy too, just like the reviews always state. No problems for me though, 3.3 pounds isn't ridiculously heavy. I really wanted the 16-35mm 2.8L II and could have lived w/o the second lens, but the deal... what a great deal at $1469! My knowing these cash off no forms required happen once a year lately I acted on both. You'll need to wait till this October to see if a promo like this occurs again. Lens deals change, canon used to offer triple rebates, now no longer.

I think canon rotates different lenses to help their customer base build a nice and varied kit. I wish I had acted when the 300mm f4 IS had $90 off a couple years ago. I am glad I acted this time, and I own no canon dslr. Baby steps...$3 grand here, then two grand there and I am slowly getting the autofocus lenses I need for the next ten years. Luckily for me I own a eos film camera, which remains my affordable full frame eos body to use these fine lenses with.

So I'd say you may be looking at a $230 hit on this lens if you must have it now. Still its fully $100 less than Nikon's offering:

Full price versus full price

Lindy