digiscoping

I was wondering if any members do digiscoping. I have been birding for years

and got back into photography a few years ago. Now I would like to be able to

use my Kowa scope to photograph birds, etc. If anyone has any experience in

digiscoping I would appreciate hearing some of your suggestions for cameras and

adapters to use with the scope. Thanks very much.<div>00ObFT-41997184.jpg.02a2f1204cd04bc35ba318589c485db6.jpg</div>

On photo.net you'll find all the digiscopers hanging around the nature forum.

Jay Turberville (who you can usually find hanging around dpReview) is a digiscoping maven. I once suggested the nickname "the Pope of Digiscope" to him, but he objected rather vehemently.

http://www.jayandwanda.com/

Pull down the "photography" tab.

Alexander - "digiscoping" is the art of pointing a digital camera (typically a point and shoot, but SLRs work, too) down the eyepiece of a small telescope or monocular, in order to achieve high magnifications. It's most popular with bird photographers and watchers (aka "birders").

Ann, I bought a field scope just a few months ago - specifically to take shots of birds, animals, and landscapes. I use two tripods. One for hiking that is light and compact. The other is heavy and sturdy. I get better results with the heavier more stable tripod. But I can get places with the light one I just would not take the heavy one. I use a universal adapter. It is easy to use and is easily removed - one hand screw and off it goes. It also allows me to tip the camera to either get a level shot or to play with angles. They come to fit a range of scope eyepieces. Mine has a frame that can fit over 65mm and can screw down to 43mm. Ths camera just threads onto an adjustable plate. I can move the camera back and forth to get it up to the eyepiece snuggly. I find this adapter to be stable and does not hinder shooting. I also use a simple pocket size point and shoot digital camera. Good for hiking. I will buy a regular DSLR after I get better at photography. By then I will have optionons about what to gt. I used an Olumpus OM1 film camera for years. I have had to make sure I place the adapter correctly, or I am not able to zoom my scope. I also find it hard to get good focus through the camera at times. I have not solved that problem yet. Let me know what you decide as it might help me when I want to buy the DSLR. Happy shooting, Dave