I just can't decide...

garrett_cotham

That 16-35 is really just a wide to normal on 1.6 crop. And I think it's really meant for H and FF sensors as a super wide zoom.

The 17-55 is wide, normal and short tele (portrait) on 1.6 crop and has IS. It's a much more useful range. Unless you are certain you'd be gettign a FF soon I would go with this one.

I'm going to get a 5D at some point and still opted for the 17-55 on my 30D for all it's advantages. I'll probably just get a 20mm prime when I get the 5D.

For the 40D, and between those two lenses, I'd go for the 17-55mm f/2.8 IS in your case.

There is not gap in your focal length coverage, it has excellent optical quality, it is less

expensive than the 16-35mm lens, it has IS which is useful on a lens of that focal length on a

crop body. All of that would certainly be useful for weddings and none of it would be a

disadvantage for landscape.

17-55 makes the most sense on a 1.6x sensor camera. There's no reason to worry to much about L vs non-L glass. Get the lens that you need to get the pictures you need. They are both 2.8 lenses, and the 17-55 may not be an L lens, but it's damn sharp. The 24-70 is an L lens, and what a crappy lens that is. In my time I went through 3-4 of them. So don't get too stuck on the L label IMO.

The short answer is what M Barbu said.

The detailed answer is dependent upon close® scrutiny of all the other of your lens requirements and your priorities to adequately shoot Landscapes and Weddings.

And, if you then decide upon the EF16 to 35F2.8L as a result, you will likely relace the Sigma 50 to 150, and likely buy another body.

WW

The EF-S17 to 55ISF2.8 is a stellar performer and is used as the main lens by many Wedding and Portrait professionals who base their kit on APS-C bodies.

I considered this lens for exactly that purpose: and decided against it only because it was an EF-S lens, and as such did not give total system integration across a Wedding Kit based on a 30D and a 5D.

(Who owns L lenses, yet realizes that L lenses are not always the best choice, also.)

WW