Interesting Article--Photo industry braces for another revolution

The refocus technology is interesting, everything else seems to be a "What If" tech dead end.

The multiple image taking/combination to increase the dynamic range of the end product will be a dead end. The only practical solution there is a sensor with continuous ISO sensitivity across the sensor face.

Regardless what others may think, my 60 year old Contax, 20 year old Hasselbald, or 8 year old C645 still take great images, I don't think I want to pay for a camera that won't take a picture because it thinks somebody is blinking.

Hmm....

There's a plethora of interesting technological advances out there. Some make it and some don't.

Examples - the Wankel engine was supposed to revolutionise the car industry - only Norton and Mazda use it now.

Solar panels on every rooftop would save the equivalent of 2 nuclear power stations. Nobody's leaping at solar power.

Electric cars are the clean transport of the future except nobody wants to buy them. Compressed gas cars are supposed to be coming but nobody is interested.

I can't honestly see anybody being interested in cameras that radically change photography.

Rhys,

You might want to rethink a bit of what you have said in there.

First off, solar panels are expensive, so people may not view them as cost effective. And, I believe, that Germany has been passing laws (at least I thought it was Germany) making it law to have some kind of "green" energy solution as part of new housing.

As for electric cars, they are not better for the environment unless the source of power for them hapens to be green. In fact, they are potentially worse if the elctricity is provided by a coal power plant. The amount of emmisions released by that plant in one year to power an electric car exceeds the emissions I put out by driving around my VW Golf. Not to mention electric cars have range issues. And the hybrid drive trains are still a little too expensive to make them worth it.

Now then, as for the article, it failed to bring to light any new technology. That said, the focus shifting one is a technology that I have been following from afar. The biggest probalem is that currently, you would need one HUGE camera to make any kind of image that would be usable for prints.