Canon G10 due soon?

oofoto

I've just bought a G9 but I'm so scared of it being superceded and losing money

on it that I'm going to sell it and wait for the G10. Hopefully this will come

with the built in Lensmate grip so I won't have to stick anything to it.

Would you all do the same as me?

Totally wrong. Wait for the G12. Rumour has it that it will be controlled by brain waves. But be aware of the G13 which works the other way round, it will control your brain. Maybe we can even conclude that the G9/10 are already controlling your brain. Is brain control in the list of specifications of the G9 or have Canon not mentioned this?

On a more serious note, there will always be a successor to (almost) every camera. You can wait a long time.

Not likely. The G6 was announced in Aug. 2004, the G7 in Sept. 2006, and the G9 (some would say "the G7 w/RAW") was announced in Aug. 2007. So August (or Sept at Photokina) at the earliest (for announcement, which can be long before delivery).

In other words, if you want a camera to use in 2008, probably not worth waiting.

Enjoy what you have. The G9 is a great camera. I've had a G2 for years and it too is a great camera. The big feature that is so great about a G9 is teh ability to get RAW files out. You can chase around on cameras looking for the "best" camera. It doesn't exist and never will, the best camera is the one you have, and the way to make it best is to use it.

Joe

Very much enjoyed and agree reading Jos Van comment. Just disagree a little bit with "You can wait a long time." Actually, there will always be a new model coming. If you wait for a new model each time, you are chasing a shadow/mirage. And you will wait for EVER.

28mm is a definate requirement. 24mm would be dream.

Not too fussed personally on lack of flip screen on G9 as it would add bulk and reduce size of screen. I have my A80 for flip screen fun. One thing I do love is the aesthetics of the camera (with the added grip). It could do with a second wheel in front of the shutter release.

You all know Canon will never give you everything in one camera, like leaving RAW out or remote or fast lens or flip screen. They need you to go buy the next model to gain these features back but at the same time they will drop something else to keep you wanting!

• 1 month later...

I love my G9 which I purchased in March 2008. I bought it via eBay for AU$530 (.94 of US$) inc. spare battery, 2GB card and a screen protector. However, I'm still waiting for an English manual, so had to download .pdf from Canon. The box arrived out of Japan direct to my doorstep. A little bit 'dodgy' I know - but it saved me AU$200 locally.

What I really liked (why I joined Photo.net) was the comment below:

"Jos van Eekelen, Feb 22, 2008; 06:12 a.m.

Totally wrong. Wait for the G12. Rumour has it that it will be controlled by brain waves. But be aware of the G13 which works the other way round, it will control your brain. Maybe we can even conclude that the G9/10 are already controlling your brain. Is brain control in the list of specifications of the G9 or have Canon not mentioned this?

On a more serious note, there will always be a successor to (almost) every camera. You can wait a long time."

Nice one Jos!

Whatever the next iteration of the G series, STOP the Megapixel madness. Even go back to "10MP" if you have to Canon, but improve the quality of the lens; fix the close-up focus issue - at 'wide' angle I shouldn't have to zoom at all; create a forward facing audio pickup for video capture so the cameraman doesn't sound as loud relative to comments made by the subject.

When I attend or do an interview I need to make photographic and audio record of them. Audio being an extension dimension, another sense of vision - so to speak. "Tone" (message-wise) being 70% of audio communication means audio can be visionary. I'd like to see Canon add more dynamic value to the G series product. Open the market appeal to a wider appreciation of what this great product really is - differentiate this camera in a special way! Keep all the good stuff, plus allow the unit to record audio just like a high quality digital audio recorder. Canon could capture another entire market. All the button controls already exist on this unit for a brilliant digital audio recorder - grow the technology. Multimedia is where it's ALL going.

Do not change the 'stowable' shape or grip of this 'beauty' or add a flick-up screen. The current screen and body shape seem just about perfect! It's the nicest 'compact body' I've handled in years.

P.S. Anyway... pretty soon mobile phones will be rivalling compact camera technology, so get a move on Canon. Include high quality audio capture for starters, include mic/line input, headphone socket for MP3. (Shock horror! MP3?) Pick up the pace, there's plenty of micro space to make this camera an indispensible, robust, quality multimedia device.

Think outside the square Canon, and "G", you won't even have to change the shape. But DON'T change the shape, it's perfectly manageable and compactible as it is. I love my G9 - but I want more!

Regards to all, Peter G (It's my 1st post)