Gary Fong's Lightsphere - technical question

george_schafer

I've been researching flash diffusion accessories, and Gary Fong's lightsphere

looks like an attractive introductory on-site flash accessory. However, in

learning how it works, it seems to me that since the intensity of the flash is

distributed in all other directions, the guide number for things in front of the

camera must change.

So the question:

If I use the lightsphere with my Canon 420 EZ, and it has an 80mm guide number

of 42(m) or 126(ft), what would my effective guide number be? What distances

would I reasonably expect to see diffused flash?

As a user of the LS, I can say, without hesitation, that it depends. Mainly on what you're bouncing off. You can use the LS with the lid on, pointed at your subjects, but what's the point? Lot's of light loss, tiny effect on softening. I go by the rule of thumb that you lose 2 stops of light when you bounce it off white surfaces or diffuse through a reasonably thin material, so if you've got an 8-10' white ceiling, the GN is ~63 (ft).

The Flip-it looks interesting, but it's similar to something I made for my flash out of cardboard, spray paint, and a rubber band. Is the difference really that negligible? Am I just better off reducing the power on my direct flash?

My concern is finding a way to diffuse light for a wedding type situations. Here at NAU, I've learned to abhor direct on-camera flash and I'm looking for something to diffuse light well and still be portable.

If nothing else, the lightsphere makes more sense to me, but Fong is apparently has some knowledge of advertising.

I personally prefer the demb diffuser pro. It's the flip-it plus a diffuser section in front. It can create very soft light, and I can adjust the power and intensity being thrown forward with the flip-it. The lightsphere, which I have _not_ used, to be clear, always throws light everywhere, which did not appeal to me.

allan

I like the Gary Fong LS. And no you can't solve this problem wiht MATH. Only with experience, as each situation is different.

As Peter points out it depens "Mainly on what you're bouncing off", and ISO and ambient light and shutter drag, and subject movement (get the idea).

and "You can use the LS with the lid on, pointed at your subjects, but what's the point?" EXACLTY. You can't do that. The lid blocks mosf of the light to the subject.

Basically in real world shooting you'll find with the 430 and a diffusor you need to be pretty close (8')to your subjects and you may be looking at ISO 400.

With the 580 you'd probably get nearly twice that distance. Another thing you can do is add the tin reflector or just some foil form the kitchen to inside/back of the sphere to up the power output.

I love the LS though. I use the different color lids to match my flash to the ambient light. That with RAW post processing for WB you can pretty much make it all look natural unless you have a nasty combo of window light and tungsten then you have to choose which one to match your flash to.

Gosh, this topic about Lightspheres has been coming up a lot lately. Mr. Fong is a marketing genius...so-so photographer IMO. I'm thinking he might be of the opinion that as long as people are talking about your product - good or bad - at least they don't forget about it. That's good marketing.

I have LS's - Orig, I and II's, and the Demb - I personally like the Demb diffuser better. As Physics go, however good the LS is, it can't take the same lightsource as a less than 360 diffuser - like the Demb, Omni, etc; and illuminate to the same level at 360 degrees as the others do at 160-180. If it could, it would be the optical equivalent of the perpetual motion machine - actually creating more light by virtue of it's own operation. There are still people who believe such a machine can be made, but the reality is nope, ain't gonna happen. Well, that is, until someone proves Albert Einstein incorrect. I'm bettin' that Gary Fong isn't the guy who is going to do that.

Even the demo shots on Mr. Fong's site (look at the large group in a church) shot admit that the "without" was two stops underexposed and "with LS" was exposed properly. Well, the photographer admitted that, it's not so clear from Mr. Fong's fact shifting.

So if you have an emotional attachment to the LS, buy it, use it, be happy. But if you don't have that emotional attachment, there are many better ways to distribute the limited light available from your Speedlight, beginning with a through study of how your flash works and how your technique and settings affect the flash emitted. Spend time with www.strobist.com and actually understand the material. It will help you a lot.

Finally, until the lens is invented that can capture a 360 degree scene, who needs to light up something they aren't going to shoot?

The big auction site sells knocks offs of the LS for just a few bucks. Try one of those. I use LS with my 580EX's. They are nice, but I still use bounced flash and direct flash at times. Maybe you should experiment with using bounced flash, maybe rent or borrow a stronger flash unit that would work better with bouncing.

Hey Christopher, you sound a bit miffed with GF.

His product is not perfect, but has an effect on pictures that works for some (many) wedding situations. Joe's diffuser is very good too, but in a different way. I have both the original flipit and the newer large version with diffuser attachments. They don't do the same thing with the light. They both have a place, but are limited in their use to each specialty. IMO.

The way it seems to me, the flipit is more direct and slightly harsher, though better suited to high ceilings and larger spaces where you need to throw the light a little farther. The LS is more suited to closer work and lower ceilings and offers a softer light.

Then there is the Harbor designs version which fits another niche.

I love my "Fong Bong". I don't use it all the time, it is not right for all situations (for those situations, I use a stoffen) but for outdoor portrait shoots and wedding work, the "fong bong" has served me well. Remember the fong bong is a tool, when used properly it can be a tremendous asset. Best of luck.

Another vote for Joe Demb's Flash Diffuser (DFD). I have 2 of the 'pro' version. Superb value for money, great versatility, almost weightless ;) As another poster put it, you can't solve the diffuser issue with mathematics (well, actually, you can but it's not worth the time or effort) You're much better off experimenting and using the teacher called Experience :) - I strongly suggest the DFD though

It's hard to get moody lighting with the Fong thingy, but for the times when you just have to get the shot, inside or out, it's great. I use it along with an Omnibounce and regular bounced flash.

Some of the hostility towards it is funny - it's just another tool folks!

George,

I use the GF light sphere and love it. It cost $49.00. Most will spend more money on a good meal, then a device that will make your life so much easier and your photos so much better. Frankly, I do not care about a GN. I know what I can use and when I can use it during a wedding. I do not take out my calculator to determine if my flash is good enough. If you can spray paint a piece of cardboard and make it work, then use the cardboard. IMHO, the GF Light Sphere is a good to have tool in your tool box. Joe Demb DFD is also a good tool. Your cardboard is a good tool. Only experience and practice will answer your question.

George

I use the the Lightsphere and it works really well for the times that I do use the flash, however it's really heavy and always falls off my flash! No one told me this prior to purchasing it. Now, I'm looking at either the GF Whaletale or another diffuser like it that won't fall off at important times during a wedding.

George, I have a GF Lightsphere and out of all my flash diffusers it's the one I use least.

The main reason is that its quite bulky and it causes the head of my SB800 to drop down.

On top of that it doesnt provide any significant improvement over the Stofen Omni bounce

which is much more compact.

It comes down to this. You will achieve far greater results and consistancy if you learn how

to bounce your flash or get it off camera. There is no diffuser that will give you consistant

results.

On another thought, I like the Nikon SB800 since it comes with a tungsten balanced gel and a stofen type diffuser. In many situations it works very well, esp. when held in your hand off cam for side shooting, etc.

Not knowing what your budget is, I would suggest getting a few and trying them. If you purchase from local or reputable dealer, you could just return the one(s) you don't like to use.

I must admit, the LS PJ is a bit of a lump, but I don't have much issue with that part. YMMV.

I have been doing a lot of research on flash, which is why I have been getting interested in flash diffusion. For the record, I didn't see the point of pointing the sphere at the subject either. I was more interested in its effect pointed towards the sky. I can't imagine when I would possibly want to point the sphere at somebody.

So to recap:

For portraits 3 yrds away or less: lightsphere

For anything longer: Omnibounce

I'm still not clear on the Flip It or this Harbor thing mentioned earlier.

I am a user of the GF. I also have used the Demb unit. Personally, I much prefer the Fong.

The Fong gives me a much better look in portrait position than the Demb.

I have tried several versions of the Fong. I have used the clear and the frosted spheres,

plus the various dome options. I sat down one day and did back to back tests on many

combinations and the best all around, at least for me, is the CLEAR dome with the white

dome in place at all times.

I set my camera to ISO 400 and raise my flash EV to +1. I am using a 580 flash by the way.

I typically use Tv mode with the shutter set to about 1/40. The camera sets the aperture

and the flash with the dome adds very nice, soft, even fill light.

I have never understood people's complaints about it "lighting up areas where you are not

shooting" type of concerns. This to me is one of the dome's greatest assets. You are using

bounce from the inverted dome AND 360 degrees around you. With any other device, you

are only trying to boune from one source. With the sphere, you can be utilizing light

bounce from a wall near your side, or your back. It is a brilliant design in my mind.

I never use a bracket. I use the sphere as Gary demostrates. Turn your flash head to the

side, and a simple, quick 90 degree turn takes you from landscape to portrait orientation

in a second. The light quality will not change. Yes, you may get a SMALL amount of side

shadow when in portrait orientation, but it is minimal and very soft. It is far better than the

hassle and weight of a bracket.

Feel free to browse the photos from some of my weddings. I would say at least 90% of

them were shot with the sphere used as I described.

http://www.parrottimaging.com/-/parrottimaging/galleryIndex.asp

Hope this is of some help to you.

steve

On a technical note, if you want to use the diffuser only of the DFD, just flip the reflector all the way back (off), and you have a diffusion device that can be adjusted for power and softness by changing the angle on the strap. Forward for softness, vertical for medium, tilted back over the flash for power.