Help me decide what camera to buy.

dcphotog1

I am a professional photographer and know how to shoot. I am looking for a

camera to take along on a trip I'm going on in a month. I am used to a Nikon D2X

and owna Canon G3 I converted to IR a couple years ago.

I am going to get either a Canon G9 or a Panasonic DMC-FZ50K. Can anyone give me

advice on the two?

David

[[Yeah? How come? They seem to have similar features.]]

The Panasonic has a mechanical linked zoom ring, a 12x zoom, an electronic viewfinder, and is significantly larger. It is a Bridge camera.

The G9 is a pocketable point and shoot (albeit a nice one) with a 6x zoom with optical viewfinder.

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/compare_post.asp?method=sidebyside&cameras=canon_g9%2Cpanasonic_dmcfz50&show=all

I care more about results than anything else. I like simple cameras, and the g9 size is appealing. I have a D2X now. The biggest problem I've read about with both of these is noise. I like the fact that the panasonic has a ring for manual focus, and I don't have to order another attachment to add on lenses and filters. I like the smaller size of the G9, and I like the viewfinder I can just look through instead of a digital one. The lens in the way isn't a problem, I've shot with rangefinders enough to deal with anything and can use my left eye along with right to compose.

If you are a pro why are you asking? You have a D2x what more do you need? Or why are you asking for a cheaper camera? Certainly if you can figure out that camera you can figure out simple point and shoots. Why do you waste our time? I can't imagine myself picking up my Cybershot to shoot anything these days now that I have a D80 and D300. Maybe I am just weird that way. Sorry for my rudeness I just find the whole thing strange. You have a camera, a good one better than I have what's the point of going backwards?

He's looking for a camera to take on a trip, presumably to save weight and hassle. He's probably looking for user opinions. Makes sense to me.

I shoot with a G9 and like it a lot. I have the lens adapter with a filter on it so I don't have to worry about bumping the lens or scratches. I carry a circular polarizer and a 220 EX flash with the short off-camera flash cord. I also have the WA converter lens which works well but is a chunk of glass. I think the G9 is a great travel camera. I combine it with an SD800IS and a small Panasonic camcorder (PV-GS59).

I haven't used the FZ-50 so can't comment.

^Exactly. I don't want to carry a bunch of stuff, I am used to lugging a bag around and I work 6 days a week. This trip will come right after March madness is over and I need a break from work, but I'll be touring Italy and I don't want to be unable to get some nice images.

If you thought I was wasting your time, why bother responding. Troll.

David, I have found the earlier Panasonic FZ cameras were fun, because of the 12X zoom. But as they bumped up the megapixels, image noise became a real nuisance. The FZ50's nearly the size of an SLR, with an undersized sensor. I wouldn't find it much of a convenience.

If you're looking at a G9, you'll like its results, overall. But I have seen remarkable image quality from the slightly older Canon A630 and the Kodak P880. The latter has a hot shoe and RAW capability, as well as a cool 24-140mm zoom lens that's manually controlled.

The Olympus E-410 makes a nice lightweight travel kit that is nearly as convenient as the all-in-ones like the FZ50 or G9. While it doesn't have the built-in long zoom lens, the 2 lens kit gives you 2 lightweight but optically very-good zooms covering a range from 28-300mm equivalent. The body and lenses are tiny and can easily fit in a small camera bag like a Domke F5. I think the responsiveness and IQ of the E-410 is worth considering for the very slight compromise in convenience. Plus the 2 lens E-410 kit doesn't cost much more than a G9. Maybe $100.00 more or thereabouts. The E-410 doesn't have built in IS like the E-510 however so that somewhat limits the usage of the tele zoom. Still, ISO's of 800 and even 1600 are quite good compared to the small sensor digicams.

If you don't want to carry a bunch of "stuff" and you want to go as small as possible, the decision is already made. The G9 is the obvious choice. No need to go to a bridge camera as the size and weight aren't THAT much different. Plus it will tempt you into buying extra "stuff" that you will have to lug around on your trip.

The G9 is the obvious choice here.