Steven Lee fired

tom_burke3

I'll wager it was about the M8 upgrade program. In any corporation the sales/marketing

department is politically the most powerful. This M8 upgrade program pretty much leaves

the dealers in the cold by allowing users to send their cameras directly for upgrade. And

without the enticement of a new product, say an M9 the dealers are not happy so

sales/marketing are not happy. And the Summarit line is not doing so well.

The Hassy CB lenses, et al ring a bell? The end of Leica Camera is near. SELL all but the collectible; but even the buyers for these will die off. I'm down to two bodies for film and two lenses, which will become desk jewelry/fondle fodder, remembering the 'good-ol'-days' in the near future.

I doubted from the beginning that an American guy of Chinese descent would be enough accepted by the German villagers who make up the workforce and midlevel management of Leica that he would have any future. Especially one as Lee who has his background in the huge American corporate structure such as Best Buys, whose philosophy is contrary and revulsive to the ideas of the small German high precision company.

Welcome to all things digital! Consumers want a full frame (even if they're not so interested in paying for it). Marketing wants an ff (even if they can't guarantee how many they'll sell and at what price point). The CEO wants an ff (because he's a turn-around guy and wants to drive the company forward with his face on the marquee). The engineers will promise an ff in one year (if only the budget guys would cough up the resources.)

Everyone can promise an ff for the target date (except for the quality assurance guys who can't say anything until they can test prototypes that will actually work in photographers' hands.) Somebody must have had a conversation with QA.

Who knows what happened, but I suspect that the German financial press are going to be all over this in the next few days.

Mr. Lee, the CEO of a publicly traded company for a total of about 15 months, has been summarily fired. The company seems to have done this without having any communications plan in place to explain what is going on to shareholders, dealers and customers. Hence all sorts of speculation. This is not normal, in fact it's just plain bizarre.

I should add that I don't mean to overstate Leica's public status. It is closely held and there is very little trading volume. Nevertheless, it is a public company.

My main point is that when a company and a CEO have a parting of the ways, there is normally at least a semblance of civility and a plan to manage communications with employees, dealers and customers. That hasn't happened here.

<p><em>think Raymond Tai above nailed it with the flawed M8 upgrade

program...</em></p>

<p>Not so sure it's that flawed. In addition to being an M8 user, I'm also a Hasselblad

user. They've announced a similar upgrade scheme to their customer base. I got news of

it in an email in exactly the same way as I did from Leica. In it Hasselblad underpins a

commitment to its customers that they can buy a camera once and replace its

components whenever need to remain 'current'. It would seem to be a fairly considered

move - it's not just Leica (or Steven K Lee) being random.</p>

Yes but if you buy a current Hasselblad model the latest components are in it. With the

Leica plan you have to buy an out dated model new and then change whatever you want

to change for yet more money. You can see the disincentive to buy a new camera

immediately unless you have no plans to upgrade. Even so why should I pay full price

for a new camera when I can buy one used and then get a 2 year warranty with the

upgrade I am going to do anyway? This is good for existing M8 owners but not for

anyone else. I also read in the other forum that he managed to piss off the manufacture

too. I can only guess he wanted to make the next digital camera R or M in Japan

resulting in potential layoffs. Just a guess but makes sense :)

It might be a major mistake from the perspective of commercial success, that is why an earlier poster was recommending sell all.

However, an instant dismissal suggests something other than differences over strategy or policy. Usually it would be gross misconduct. He did not even seem to have been given the dignity of a resignation. If he was, but he refused, then whatever happened must have been very acrimonious.