Antarctica in December

kiloromeo

<I>And most importantly, never, never sit in the front of the zodiac.</i><P>

If it's rough and windy, you're gonna get soaked no matter where you sit. I speak from

experience here.<P>

If I were you I'd want a laptop or some sort of storage device. 12 Gigs doesn't sound like

much for a visit to Antarctica, at least the way I shoot.

My ship (Akademik Ioffe) used U.S. 2 pin sockets but had a UK adaptor plugged into one socket. I imagine the other Russian ships would be similar but I was able to check the spec of the ship online before I travelled and I suggest you do too. I always seemed to have something charging at any one point in time, be it batteries or backup devices etc. You are going to take a lot of photos, possibly more than you have ever taken before, so go prepared.

Meanwhile, here is a pic of some curious penguins<div>00OVkc-41858284.JPG.c67b251caa9d9a65f273d07ffb4ab501.JPG</div>

You're not allowed to use flash on the wildlife, so that may push you further to leave the strobes behind. I don't know that you need a completely waterproof backpack. On my trip to the peninsula, I used a standard daypack (big Kelty redwing) lined with a trash compactor bag. I had my gear in padded cases.

I may have been lucky, but I didn't have any trouble with having my 10D and 70-200 f/4 out and shooting during zodiac cruises. I did put it away in my pack when we had lots of splashes, but it was within easy and immediate reach. If you do go for a waterproof case, I'd use one of the Lowepro Dryzones over a hard sided case. You'll want something that's easy to carry when you're getting in/out of the zodiacs. The swell can get pretty high, so you don't want something bulky in your hands trying to jump a few feet into a moving zodiac.

I'd definitely take a wide angle - lots of great landscapes. Antarctica is one of the few places you can do wildlife photography with wide angle lenses. Don't concentrate too much on penguin portraiture - you'll want to capture the wildlife in its environment.

The wind chill on the zodiac cruises can get pretty bitter, so don't forget windproof protection for your hands and face. Goggles (ski or otherwise) would be a pretty good idea.

Some pics:

http://www.pbase.com/escog/antarctica

<I>You're not allowed to use flash on the wildlife</i><P>

I know that's true of the Galapagos but I wasn't aware it was also true of Antarctica, at

least not specifically. Perhaps some tour companies don't allow it, but I'd be surprised if

there were any laws specifically forbidding flash use. Of course, the Antarctic treaty

provisions basically prohibit any disturbance of wildlife (at least in theory), so if you fire a

flash and something panics, that's verboten. Years back, when I was working at Palmer

Station, I occasionally used flash and as is often the case in other parts of the world, there

was no perceptible response.

I went in December and it wasn't that cold mostly high 20s and low 30s. I had the lowepro

dryzone, but it was a little stiff and not terribly user friendly. I ended up in the zodiak

usually with a 5d with 24-105 and 1d2 with a 70-200 2.8is around my neck. I had large

ziploc bags in my pocket if it looked like there was going to be spray. I did this because

on our first landing coming back to the ship on the zodiak my cameras were stuck in the

lowepro and we came up on a beautiful blue saucer iceberg with a pale pink sky in the

background and there was nothing I could do. You will definitely use the 70-300, but few

people used flash on the trip and there weren't many tripods used. I don't think I used my

macro much at all and I usually do a lot of macro. I was glad I had an IR filter on my 70-

200 - I stumbled and it fell - the filter was trash, but that lens is still working beautifully.

I would take a lowepro slingshot if I was going again since you can swing to your front

while on the zodiak and then swing it to your back while walking around.

Take plenty of batteries, not a lot of outlets in the rooms so an extension cord, hand

warmers are nice especially if you get 3 hour sunsets like we did, oh and not matter how

many pictures you think you will take quadruple it. Storage, storage and more storage.

The air is very dry so it can be dusty so take and cleaning supplies and if you can borrow

a second body and keep your wide lens on one and the tele on the other body. Less lens

switching will really save your sensor. I got nailed in Argentina for bags being overweight,

but I don't think it was much money. Oh - did I say take plenty of storage? I was a

lightweight and came back with 50 gbs.

Ok I am rambling, if you need other information sperraglia@aol.com.

Cheers,

Sallie Jo

Re: Flash Photography - I don't remember if they cited a particular IAATO regulation regarding flash photography, but our tour company (Quark) definitely said no flash. And, the staff ornithologist was pretty vigilant about watching us.

Oh, and I'd also suggest a back up for your DSLR. I know you're taking the G7 as a backup, but it'd be shame to be out there with all those lenses and not be able to use them. You could pick up a used 10D or digital rebel for pretty cheap.

The set up I had with me on my Antarctica trip was:

Canon 10D

Canon Rebel 2k

Canon EOS 17-40mm f/4

Canon EOS 28-135mm IS

Canon EOS 70-200mm f/4

Lots of batteries, flash cards, filters, etc...

30 Rolls of film (Velvia and Provia)

Padded cases for bodies and lenses

Apple iBook and Portable storage device (Tripper 40 Gb)

I stuffed everything into my Kelty daypack which I carried on. I also wore my parka onto the plane in case I got busted on weight and had to shift a lens or body into my pockets.

Harry,

I travel to Chile twice a year although I have yet to go to Antartica, but here is a list of what you might want to take aside from whatever gear.

First of all you are going to arrive in Santiago, where they have a reciprocity fee of 100 - 150 dollars just to get into the country, take that in cash.

Secondly, while the 1510 or similar is a good idea for the US is a bad idea for Chile, in some planes you may be able to carry that but not on all, as they have small jets that travel inside the country, your best bet is to board the plane with a smaller more flexile bag and a photo vest, in case you need to "wear" the camera equipment.

As far as water-proofing case for your equipment, my suggestion will be a Boundary II bag, they are totally waterproof and light

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/pod/horizontal-pod.jsp?_DARGS=/cabelas/en/common/catalog/pod-link.jsp_A&_DAV=MainCatcat20075-cat602714&rid=&indexId=cat602714&navAction=push&masterpathid=&navCount=1&parentType=index&parentId=cat602714&id=0031809

and cheaper that the pelican.

Take also an adaptor for 120v to charge your batteries, they do sell them down there bu everything is more expensive there because of the dollar/peso conversion.

Also and just from my hiking experiences, I will take one camera, plenty of batteries, one long zoom and the short one, and the small video camera, what you don't need from the is is the 17-55, zoom with your feet. You can also use the G7 as a backup and to cover the rest of the zoom range.

Plus ND and polarizing filter, and small tripod and look into a "rainhat" fr your camera, they are only 40.00 bucks.

Enjoyed

Hugh

I have a Tamrac Expedition 5 bag that I think will be my travel bag. I'm getting a photo vest, so I think I'm gonna be good for storage.

Just the 2 lenses is a good idea and reduces bulk, if I leave another lens home it will probably be the 17-55.

Great ideas folks, thanks again.