180mm 4.0 CFE lens Discontinued?

dale_edward

Does anyone know if the Hasselblad 180mm 4.0 CFE lens is being discontinued? I

tried searching for this lens and many stores such as B&H, Adorama, and Samys

don't even list this lens on their websites any longer.

This lens is still listed on the Hasselblad USA website, and they don't mention

anything about this lens being discontinued.

"Everything longer than 150mm has been discontinued." Maybe so, for the Hasselblad inventory, but Zeiss still produce the F4/180 with the Hasselblad mount. In fact it is made in a beautiful chrome finish, along with a Distagon 50mm and the stunning Makro-Planar 4/120mm, as the "Classic ZV" series. You can get all the specs and how to order from www.zeiss.com/photo and download a PDF brochure.

Cheers, Kevin<div>00OUN5-41824284.jpg.986dd572232c2b656449118018d2c4d2.jpg</div>

Thanks Terry and Kevin for your responses. I feel in a way that Hasselblad is essentially giving up on the V system. Hasselblad has a rich and illustrious historic place in the photographic industry. The superb German made Zeiss lenses are among the best in the world. I am sad to see that these fine lenses above 150mm are being discontinued.

Dale

My guess is they discontinued what isn't selling. We are down to one body and a handful of lenses. It will only get worse. I forgot about the ZV series. It is 50mm, 120mm and 180mm. I've been able to fill out my collection from the used market which is why new lenses aren't selling and being cancelled.

>The 180/4 isnt discontinued on the Hasselblad site or at vendros such as Robert White.

The Hasselblad site still shows the 250 CFi, which was discontinued, available while supplies

last as of the Jan '07 price list I have. The only conclusion to be made is that there's more

urgency to announce that you have a product available for sale than there is to let it be

known that you no longer do...

It is, with these thingies, not so much a matter of "they discontinued what isn't selling", but of things that do not sell not being discontinued.<br>Things that go slow are still in stock, and will not be discontinued until they too have (almost) all sold.<br>It is highly likely (don't expect an official confirmation) that no new batch of any of the Zeiss lens will ever be ordered again from Zeiss. So effectively all V-System lenses will have been discontinued already. They just haven't all sold out yet, with (as mentioned) the slow selling items, and the ones they have larger stocks of, remaining available for the longest.

Hasselblad announced the 80 CFi as follow up for the discontinued 80CFE.

From the arrival of the 80 CFi it seems Hasselblad still orders lenses from Carl Zeiss but will not re order slow movers.

Recently the 30 mm CFi, the 180 CFE, the 250 CFi and the 350 CFE SA were removed from the list.

For the F series cameras only a couple of 300 mm TPP lenses are left.

It is a sad reality not enough people buy new lenses for the V series to justify for Hasselblad to re order slow moving lenses from Carl Zeiss.