Which Nikon AF body is "best" for using MF lenses?

scott_gardner1

I did indeed tour Photorama on Sunday and was able to handle:

FA

FE2

F3

F3HP

N90S

No F4(S), F100 or F6 available. Unfortunately.

Two dealers each had an N90S and one had an F3 and the other an F3HP so I could make comparisons side-by-side. In the first case I found only a marginal difference in 'focus-ability' using a 50/1.8 and my Tamron 35-80 SP.

At the other dealer's table, I compared using the his 50/1.8 on each camera (F3HP and N90S). The N90S was distinctly less contrasty and hence more difficult to focus. Lighting was the same at both tables. I'm left wondering if that N90S was defective. Unfortunately, I didn't know how or what to check. :(

Maybe I'm dim, but I didn't perceive a whole lot of difference between the F3 and the F3HP. I could definitely see ALL of the VF in the HP, and almost all of it in the F3. All things being equal, I'd probably opt for an HP -- if I choose an F3.

The FA and FE2 were both nice but both seemed to have more of a 'kick' when the shutters were released. Both the F3 and N90S seemed better damped.

Side question -- anyone using a DA-2? I didn't see one, but while reviewing accessories it popped up on the radar. Looks very interesting!

Side note -- I tried a Leica R4S. Not particularly easy to focus, oddly deep shutter depression required to fire it and quite a kick when it released. I was thinking it might be nice to have access to Leitz glass but that test drive helped me rule that out.

In that vein, I hoped to try a Contax body but couldn't find one. I recall looking through an Aria a few years ago and being very impressed.

Again, much appreciation for all the time and thoughtful advice offered here.

Cheers!/Scott