DMC-FZ50K versus G9

dcphotog1

I am a professional photographer and know how to shoot. I am looking for a

camera to take along on a trip I'm going on in a month. I am used to a Nikon D2X

and owna Canon G3 I converted to IR a couple years ago.

I am going to get either a Canon G9 or a Panasonic DMC-FZ50K. Can anyone give me

advice on the two?

David

David,

I was a pro for a few years after I retired from my career. I received a G9 for Christmas. Overall I am pleased with the results and not having to carry all those heavy bodies and lenses everytime I want to go get some snaps of the grand children. I am looking forward to doing some landscape work with it this spring and summer.

So far most everything I've shot has been indoors using a 550EZ either on the hotshoe or on a bracket with a OCSC. The 550EZ is too big for the G9 body and I'll probably get a 430EZ. With a DSLR when using a flash I always shoot in M mode & E-TTL. I am not totally pleased with the G9's M mode. It just doesn't offer the flexibility I'm use to with a DSLR. I should also say that with a little adjusting I'm been able to get excellent results. I like to shoot RAW indoors so I can adjust WB. The RAW converter that Canon supplies with the G9 is slow and difficult to use, IMO. The latest version of DPP will not comvert G9 RAW files. I have PSCS which will not comvert them either. I understand PSCS3 will work.

I can not give you any info on the DMC-FZ50K. You may be able to find something on dpreview.com.

I have not used any other P&S digital but the reviews on the G9 have been excellent. See this one:

http://luminous-landscape.com/reviews/cameras/G9-Japan.shtml

I hope this is helpful.

Good luck on your trip.

Cliff

"The latest version of DPP will not comvert G9 RAW files. I have PSCS which will not comvert them either."

DPP only works on the dslrs. You can use PSCS by using the free camera raw converter from Adobe website. That's what I do for CS2, so I can use G9 raw in Bridge.

I have the FZ50 and I'm really happy with it. For the price I think you couldn't have beaten it at the time I bought it. The lens is first-rate and gives a nice zoom range.

In looking at the two cameras on dpreview, I notice that the G9 seems to give slightly better resolution at low ISO. I think that any time you can get an improvement in resolution, it's a good idea to do so. (This is why I still shoot lots of film.)

However, the FZ50 might still have the advantage in zoom range.

By the way, the adjustable LCD on the back of the FZ50 is real valuable to me.

I don't find the FZ50's weight at all objectionable; feels just right to me. While a very light-weight camera, it's got enough weight to help steady the camera when shooting. It's also generally very comfortable to use.

I think you'd be well off to just compare the two in your hands at a store, see which one you like better. You probably won't go wrong with either one.

I've used an FZ50 quite a bit, and now own a G9. Here's my take:

FZ50 advantages: handling (love the manual zoom ring), zoom range, EVF, ability to zoom during movies.

FZ50 disadvantages: image quality not up to the G9, larger and heavier, RAW mode is very slow and files are HUGE, purple fringing when shooting RAW.

G9 advantages: image quality, more usable RAW mode, smaller and lighter, more useful feature set (stitch assist is addictive), ISO dial, much better LCD.

G9 disadvantages: more limited zoom range (tops out a "210" as opposed to "432" on the FZ50), electric zoom (hate it, got used to it), useless optical viewfinder (no way on earth to frame accurately using it).

Overall, it came down to needs, and I needed something smaller and lighter I could carry in a belt pouch. I miss the manual zoom and zoom range, but really love using the G9 with all it's shooter-friendly features. Either camera is really nice, though.

I see the advantage of the FZ50 "on a trip" in that it is ready to shoot in about a second, the time it takes for me to lift it to my face :-), and has the reach for those subject one cannot for various reasons get close to. I rarely shoot RAW so slowness in that direction doesn't bother me. I enjoy the Panasonic arrangement having had 20 and 30 and now 50. I have an Olympus x1.7 for extra reach, about 750mm equiv, which OIS handles well.