meter?). Bonus points for (1) larger formats (e.g., 67 v. 645),

(2) wider lenses. Of course optical quality and durability are

considerations as well. Would anyone care to lay out the options

with commentary on pros & cons? Model names are helpful, since I've

been bewildered in the past by, for example, the various Fuji 645

models. Thanks.

Dear Chis,

<p>

Don't laugh at my suggestion. I am serious. A Yashicamat 124G twin lens reflex is a 6x6 that weighs VERY little. It is inexpensive (used at $150-$300 in mint condition). The physical size is small. The lens, in it's day, was EXCELLENT. It has a built in meter although not through the lens. It synchs at 1/500. It uses a 80mm lens but you can get an add on wide angle supplement. Generally, this meets all your criteria.

<p>

Put a roll of Velvia in one, set it at f8, and be amazed. Because lenses of yore were made so simply (some were only triplets) they exibited amazing contrast and lack of flair, even without multi-coating. Really.

<p>

Steve

Though the low price and built-in meter make this a virtual impossibility, you could look

at the Horseman SW612 (don't think it has a meter, though). It's about the size of a Mamiya 7, yet different formats (6x7,6x9,6x12) can be used with either 120 or 220 film, provided

you buy the converting back plate. It's "only" about $3K including the Rodenstock lens (see

the B&H webpage), which is less than the Mamiya w/ wide angle lens.

supplement. Generally, this meets all your criteria.

<p>

Steve Bingham's July 17, suggestion of using a twin lens as a light weight second camera is a good one that offeres several inexpensive options. I picked up a Yashica-24 through KEH Camera Brokers in Atlanta, Ga. (USA) for less than $150. My 24 is not a range finder but the waist level is very easy to see and focus with both with and without the magnifying focusing lens. Most twin lens cameras are relatively small, have a built in meter (not TTL) synch at 1/500, but are limited to 80mm lenses. I've read several posts here and other places that warn about the quality of wide angle or tele attachments. Although out numbered, there have been some people that are pleased with them. Satisfaction is probably determined by the quality desired. If you go with a Mamiya, the cameras are a little heavier and bulkier, but offer other lenses.

• 2 weeks later...

My lightweight travel MF rangefinder camera is a Kodak Medalist II, converted to take 120 film (6x9 format). Except for the meter (I find the built-ins in MF rangefinders to be awkward and not particularly useful), the camera would answer your needs, at moderate cost. The rangefinder is superb (huge image compared with others), but of course the viewfinder is separate! I don't find that to be a problem. Why not buy a small, inexpensive meter and a belt pouch for it?

<p>

Brad Bunnin

• 4 weeks later...

Well, here's one for lack of originality: if you want something less than $1000, with something better than guestimating focus and exposure, and easy to carry, the Fuji GS645S is really hard to beat. This is a 60mm lens (37.5 mm in 35mm-speak), coated, super sharp. Syncs to 1/500s. T, no B. Self-timer. Two tripod sockets at right angles to ea. other. I jotted down some thoughts about about it at:

<p>

http://www.andrew.cmu.edu/~tw1u/FujiGS645.html

<p>

Goo' luck

Tse-Sung

<p>

PS- the 45mm version is scale focus only, I don't know about the 75mm, which is folding. These are all discontinued in favor of the AF versions of the 45 and 60mm 645s. The 6x7 and 6x9 (670 and 690) look like huge plasticky RF's on steroids, and do *not* have any metering. They both come in a wide and 'superwide' angle version, and are highly regarded (65mm and 90mm I believe).

I often carry an old Ensign Autorange 6x9 folder when I travel. It has a coupled rangefinder and an excellent Ross Xpres 3.8 lens in an Epsilon shutter.

As I mentioned in another posting, two other fine old classic RF 6x9 folders which will turn in beautifully sharp transparencies are the Voigtlander Bessa II with either a Color Skopar or Color Heliar lens, and the Super Ikonta type 531/2 with a Tessar lens.

The above 3 cameras are all small and slim when folded, and weigh very little.

<p>

They dont have built in meters, but hey! a Weston doesn't take up much space in your bag.

<p>

These complement my Pentax 67 and SWCM

for field trips.

<p>

Clive

• 11 months later...

After getting use to the huge 6x7 negative and great optics of the p67, I suspect about the only thing you will be happy with will be the 6x7 Fuji. 6x6 negatives now appear punny after adapting to 6x7(I have a C33). Purchase a spot meter with the camera and you will have accurate exposures(which is not always the case with the pentax TTL meter), and use it with both cameras.

<p>

I am considered a fuji 6x7 after I get thorugh building a new home with a first class darkroom!

Chris, I agree with Gene's previous answer - it's tough to consider 645 if you're used to 6x7. I was in the same position, with a big 6x7 - looking for something more compact. I took a look at the Fuji 645 cameras (the 60mm and 45mm ones). I found them fairly compact, but still big compared to a 35mm camera. They feel fairly heavy, since smaller size coupled with around 900g weight makes them feel fairly solid.

<p>

I had a look at the Fuji 6x7 and 6x9 in the same shop. This is bigger, but seems lighter (1500g though). The model numbers are GW670III (6x7 90mm lens), GW690III (6x9 90mm lens), GSW690III (6x9 60mm lens (I think)). The wider version is only available in 6x9. I ended up buying the 670 for the following reasons: 1/ I already use lots of 6x7 and it's nice to keep the same format, 2/ 6x7 seems to be easier to get printed, 3/ 2 extra frames on a 120, 4/ 6x9 isn't much bigger (I think it's 56x82 compared with 56x68). The 6x7 is actually a 6x9 with different winder gearing and some masking in front of the film (very simple - it's a shame Fuji don't make a switchable version). There's a reversable pressure plate which allows 120 or 220.

<p>

Other points: The camera is pretty large, although smaller than your Pentax. The lens is fantastic, and metal - the body is strong plastic to keep weight down. It's 100% manual - no batteries, no metering. It feels great - this is the third generation in the line, and Fuji have built it with great ergonomics. The rangefinder is bright and if you raise your eye slightly you can see the built in spirit level (mounted above the rangefinder). I can fit the camera, meter, film , vivitar flash and tabletop tripod in a LowePro Nova2 bag (pretty small) which is very easy to carry round.

• 8 months later...

Chris,

For truly lite weight, I found a MF folder, Franka, Solida II. Made in Germany in the US zone, it probably was made in the 50's or 60's. It features a German made Ennagon f3.5 75mm uncoated lens, a Prontor shutter with a range from B to 1/300th of a second. It is synched for bulb or electronic flash and has a self timer. It has no range finder - you adjust the range manually. F stop and shutter speed are set manually, but are coupled through the EVS system. The lens is uncoated ( I believe) but is razor sharp with good contrast. It has no light meter. I carry a small hand held meter. I have lots of arthritus so must go very lite when hiking in the mountains of Oregon.Total weight of camera, meter, filters, sun shade and Collman tripod is a hair over three pounds!

Roald Bostrom

• 9 months later...
A Linhof 220 rangefinder 6x7 should be mentioned. 220's have the best viewfinder for those who wear glasses. The 220 size is a vertical rectangle and somehat larger than a Mamiya 6 or 7 but could be considered compact. 220s have a 90mm F3.5 normal fixed lens and meter which would be unrealiable. I would recommend hand metering. A friend recently bought a like new 220 with carry bag for $450. I would turn in my Rollei TLR E model for a 220.