Test photos Sigma 50-150 2.8 II

mvtol

Hello everybody,

After comparing the Sigma 50-150 and the Tokina 50-135 I decided to wait for the

"II" version of the Sigma, which arraived this weekend! My first impression is

very good. I was affraid for back/front focussing after many complaints on the

internet, but mine seems to work fine. Here are some pics:

http://www.photo.net/photodb/folder?folder_id=810305

regards, Martijn

Martijn I have seen excellent very appealing images from the older version. While I appreciate your posting of samples from this new version I must say I could not imagine that the worst lens Sigma ever produced will show poor IQ on such small images :-) So to really learn about the IQ of your lens - do us a favor and post some 100% crops. Of course if time permits. At the currently nice sunshine taking images may be better than pixel peeping.

Further note: Has Nikon abandoned this angle-of-view space in the DX format? I have been looking at their lens line-up, and I see no zoom lens in either the DX or FX format which, when used on DX, translates into the decades old 80-200 range (or thereabouts).

Makes one wonder if Nikon is really committed to the DX format. Such a venerable and popular angle-of-view and they have nothing that matches it.

Jest thinkin'...

I've added a 100% crop. You can click "larger" for 100%. Of course this is the sweet spot of the lens. But this is sharper than I had hoped for anyway. I think it equals my Tamron 17-50 (don't know about 150mm yet, have to test it). Maybe I can make some border crops later this week.

This lens (or the Tokina 50-135) has been on my short list for quite some time. I had been hoping that Nikon would release something similar in it's latest go-round, but that has not happened.

Looks like I have to give up on the Nikon version but, judging by the 100% blowup, I don't think I'd be giving up very much by going with the Sigma.

I have an old Nikon 75-150E f3.5 that I've tried on my D80 and find that range very usable. Can't figure out why Nikon hasn't simply stretched it a bit and given it the AFD treatment.

Pentax seems to have gotten the point that this is a usable range on a DX sensor and I think that they partnered with Tokina to develop there version.