I need a lens with a great zoom

nicky_elliott

Hi, I'm new to photo.net and definitely need some help.

I previously had a brand new Fuji Finepix S8000fd digital camera. BEAUTIFUL

little beast! I loved it but only had it a few days before I waded out into

the bay to photograph my husband and little girls playing in the water. For

safety I decided to put the strap around my neck and... well, the friend who

set the camera up for us when I brought it home had looped the strap through,

but hadn't fastened it! It slipped off within a microsecond and that was $800

in the bay.

Fast forward to the present... I decided to go one step further and invest in a

Digital SLR instead. I bought home a Canon EOS 40D but even though it's a nice

camera I am extremely disappointed in the zoom.

With my other camera I could get 18x optical zoom. When I look at the Canon

EOS specs I can't really figure out what the lenses are all about, but it only

appears to zoom in by a fraction of what I am used to.

Can anyone recommend a lens (affordable) that would give me the equivalent

capabilities of my old one?

Thank you.

Nicky

You've got probably the best consumer Digital SLR in the world. It is capable of producing

fantastic shots. It deserves to wear really good lenses. Really good lenses do not have a zoom

ratio of x18. More like x3- x4. If you want to persevere with the 40D you'll have to learn to

change lenses when you want to zoom in or out more than x3 or x4. That's why the 40D, like

every other reputable SLR, has interchangeable lenses.

It's not clear what your definition of affordable is, but you could look at the Canon EF 70-

200 f/4 zoom, for about $600. It would match very well to your 40D. If you have up to

$1000 to spend you could go for the same lens with 70-200 f/4 IS (image stabilization),

which would likely improve your shots if you don't use a tripod. Canon has some zoom

offerings that go out to 300 mm that you might want to consider as well, and some might

be more affordable.

You're not likely going to be able to duplicate the 18x zoom range of your old camera (that

seems very high), but you're pictures will still probably be better than with your previous

camera. A lot of compromises are made to offer 18x zoom.

For example, if you have Canon EF 100-400mmm f/4.5-5.6L IS, you take 400/100= 4, that's 4X.

I checked dcresource and Jeff Keller said that the lens on the S800fd is 4.7-84.2mm, equivalent to 27-486mm on 35mm SLR...The only lens that covers a similar range is the Canon EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS, with your 1.6-crop-sensor 40D, the zoom range of the 28-300 is equivalent to 44.8-480, the long end is about the same, but the wide end will not be as wide as your s8000fd.

The EF 28-300mm f/3.5-5.6L IS USM retails for $2200 on B&H, I don't know if Sigma or Tamron makes anything that covers the zoom range your want.

Sorry for your old camera.

NSN

I think you're going to love that camera. Which lens do you have? I bought a kit with the 17-85mm IS lens and I really like it. I also have my other lenses from when I was using an EOS film camera. They are Tamron units. Of those, I like the 28-200 the best. Wow, an 18x zoom. I don't know of a lens with that range on any of the DSLRs but I could be wrong. My advice would be to keep at it with what you purchased for a bit and then evaluate. Hope this helps. Enjoy that camera; it will grow with you as a photographer.

If you don't need the best image quality the sigma 18-200 OS ($600) will give you about

as much range as you can get and IS. It is also very compact and light. Canon L lenses are

among the best in the world and nothing you can buy for your camera will give you the

same combination of build quality, image quality, and reliability. However not everyone

needs the very best lenses or can handle the weight they'll bring to your set-up. I'd

recommend a canon L 24-105 if you don't mind the slow f/4 aperture or the 24-70 f/2.8

if you don't mind the weight. Both of these are $1000-ish and will give you some good

range and will produce amazing images. If price is an issue sigma makes a 24-70 f/2.8

for $300-ish but it isn't as good as the canon in just about every way.

Good luck!

~Andrew

You guys are great, thank you. Yes, I was surprised and delighted to find the 18x optical zoom with the "old" (ie still brand new when it hit the water) Fuji. Most cameras seem to cut out around the 10x mark. The difference with an 18x zoom was extraordinary and it was quite exciting to be able to stand 15 or 20 metres away and photograph my children's faces in extreme closeup, while they were splashing under the sprinkler in their swimming costumes. I can't say if the quality was compromised as I am not a professional photographer - but the photos looked pretty good to me!

I definitely don't have $2200 to spend on a lens or even $1000 but I could probably stretch to that Canon lens for $600.

Are the Sigma lenses no good? They seem much cheaper than the Canons.

Fuji FinePix S8000fd zoom is 4.7-84.2mm, equivalent to 27-486mm on 35mm SLR.

Canon EF 70-200 f/4L ($600) with the 1.6 crop sensor on the 40D is equivalent to 112-320.

The zoom range of this lens is not close to the zoom range of your Fuji, but it's a fantastic lens. I think it's the cheapest zoom lens with the best built and image quality.

Canon EF 70-200 f/4L review http://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-70-200mm-f-4.0-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Remember the cheapest zoom is your feet :), move closer!

One last thing, what is your current lens line up?

>>The difference with an 18x zoom was extraordinary and it was quite exciting to be able to stand 15 or 20 metres away and photograph my children's faces in extreme closeup, while they were splashing under the sprinkler in their swimming costumes. I can't say if the quality was compromised as I am not a professional photographer - but the photos looked pretty good to me!<<

You may not have noticed it, but you can't handhold an 18x optical zoom consumer cam and get good pictures. Try a 100% crop of those pics and I'm guessing it will look like crap.

Here's something to try if you like the idea of getting close. explore cropping your pictures. Say you want to get a face shot and your camera will only get a upper torso/face. Crop the picture in your editor and I'll guarantee you will get better results than you would have if you would have had that 18x zoom.

Look at some of the reviews of the big large range zooms like the 28-300. They can't match the IQ of the shorter zoom lengths.

When you trade up to a DSLR, you are putting your picture quality at a priority, and there are some tradeoffs. By DSLR standards, those pictures you took with your P&S are blown away!

The EF 70-200 sounds great but I'm sorry Sinh, I don't understand the question about what a "current lens line up" is?

As for moving closer... yes, I agree - sometimes. But we live in an area in Australia with lots of wildlife. Sometimes it's nice to be able to get a clear shot of a koala high in the tree - or when you're in row 30 at the Wiggles, to be able to take a few shots to show the kids later that have a certain amount of detail.

I'm still looking forward to seeing what my Canon Eos 40D can do. A few years ago (pre-digital) I had a low-range Canon EOS SLR. Don't remember which model it was now, but it only cost around $400 and it took some extraordinary photos. So I'm hoping to have that freedom again.

Sorry Nicky, what I meant was what lens/lenses do you have? I saw that you have the 18-55 right after I'd posted my last reply. Anyways, you can go here www.thedigitalpicture.com or www.photozone.de to do more research on Canon lenses. With the right lens your canon 40D can do much more than your last camera.

the 40D will blow your old EOS away, I would suggest you save up for the 70-200 f4 IS and also research what is the best software to develop your shots with, I can recomend Lightroom, DPP(which comes with the 40D) is not bad if you learn how to use it with your in camera settings, but Lightroom is a lot more versatile.

Hi Nicky - I agree with Yakim.

I bought a 70-300 IS (non DO) to complement my 70-200 f/2.8 IS. I find the outdoor

performance of the 70-300 quite adequate and it would give you a reach of 112-480 in

35mm terms. It is reasonably light and compact. I imported mine to Australia from B&H in

USA - a good company to deal with. With the high Aussie dollar against the greenback

you could get one landed in Australia for about $AU650. See this link

www.bhphotovideo.com/c/shop/8454/

Digital_Film_SLR_Interchangeable_Lenses_for_Canon.html

You say you have the 18-55 kit lens - is it the IS (image stabilised) version? If not, it may

be worth upgrading it with the later (and better) IS version or even the 17-85 IS lens

(which has a greater zoom range). Canon have also released a new 55-250 IS lens which

may be worh a look. Remember to multiply each focal length quoted on a lens by 1.6 to

get the 35mm film equivalent.

Cheers, Bob

Nicky -- I handled that lens and, while it is a decent lens, decided upon the 17 - 85 for the additional reach and therefore not having to change it out so much for a longer unit. The store where I bought my 40D has a 30 day return policy. If that is the case with where you purchased, you might consider the longer lens for a walk about lens. I am very happy with mine. Since I came from a film EOS (IIe), I have two additional lenses, both Tamron. A 28 - 200 Super II and a 28 - 300 XR. Less expensive than the Canon glass to be sure and not up to the IQ, but the XR gets you to almost 500mm in 35mm measurements. Plus either is pretty inexpensive these days. The Super II is sharper. Depends upon what you wish to spend. The Canon glass described is certainly to be sharper, but if cost and weight is an issue, the Tamron is a good candidate.

Nicky there are many photographers who use sigma lenses and really enjoy them. I think that

they are right for you in this case because you can get a small fairly cheap lens with a great

range. ie the 18-200mm OS ($600) and the 24-70 f2.8 ($300). Both of these lenses are

great especially the 18-200 and with your level of experience and prior equipment fully

capable of satisfying your needs.

~Andrew

Hi Nicky. As others have said, you are not going to be able to replicate that Fuji zoom with a DSLR and one lens but you will take photos that are MUCH sharper and will print MUCH larger. If you already have the 18-55 I would keep that. To get more zoom I'd buy the 70-300 IS, it's about $1000 in retail stores in Australia but can be had for much less from Digital Discounts in Sydney (they advertise at the head of these pages in Australia). Another fine lens to consider is the 70-200 4LIS, a bit shorter on the tele end, but stunningly sharp. Also check your home contents insurance policy, many in Australia will cover the mishap you have had, just telephone the insurance office and they will advise on the spot. Good luck, you have purchased a fine camera that will last many years and take stunning photos, please don't drop it.

Neill