shutter is released at certain speeds..

The general consensus seems to be that placing one's hand(s) on top of the

pentaprism & applying downwards pressure is about as effective as any of the

other methods..And doesn't require any additional equipment to be added to the

camera / tripod / tripod head set-up..

With that being said, I would like the opinions of the PN members experienced

with the Pentax 67 camera in the possible use of the following:

A soft leather bag holding approximately 2.5 lbs. of super fine lead bird shot

draped over the prism of the camera in lieu of one's hand(s)..

My thoughts were that the density of the lead shot might be as effective as the

human hand; & a lot more convenient then hooking the strap of a camera bag to

the tripod, or over the prism..

The downside would be having to carry around an additional piece of equipment of

considerable weight..

Thanks for your answers..

Bruce

Lots of people comment on the camera making a noise and vibrating, but I've not seen too many people comment on un-sharp pictures from the 67, especially if a tripod and MU is used.

I had one for a few years and can attest to the camera moving about, but never had a problem with sharpness and I used a fairly light tripod without any special weighting. I believe that a fair anount of the "movement" is post-exposure from the shutter closing and the mirror dropping.

Bruce,

I've found that with the 67II the hand-on-the-prism method works well until you mount the longer lenses (over 200mm). Then I use a Bogen long-lens support as well as slinging a loaded camera bag around the base of the tripod head helps to control vibration, as well as using mirror lockup.

TH

I have to agree with Tony on this. I have used this system for 20 years and haven't had shutter vib issues with any of the focal lengths except the 200mm, 300mm 400mm and 600mm. I don't put my hand on the prism but I do put some of my weight on the tripod before tripping the shutter. The 200 is pretty easy to shoot in the 1/8 second area with a large tripod and MLU. The old 300m Takumar is a problem in all the known bad shutter speeds. The 300 ED has its own tripod socket and is not much of a problem with vib. It's best to avoid the 1/4 to 1/30 second speeds with either of the 400mm lenses. The 600 needs a Wimberly head or two tripods to be successful at the bad shutter speeds.

I have a Giottos MT9360 aluminum tripod with a Really Right Stuff BH-55 Pro ballhead..

Does anyone here know if the Giottos MT9360 tripod will be sufficient for the Pentax 67II camera??..Or is a heavier tripod in the works for me when I finally save up the funds for the 67II??..

My gut instinct tells me that a less complex tripod then the MT9360 might be needed..I know that the BH-55 ballhead will do the job..

Any opinions on the Kirk BL-67II L-bracket..I don't anticipate shooting a lot of frames in portrait mode..I was curious as to how well this L-bracket worked when used in portrait mode..

Thanks, Bruce

I have not had any problems with P67II using lenses from 35-135 on a 2-series Gitzo with a Linhof ball head. I use MLU whenever possible and practically never extend the centre column. However, I have found that combination not to be enough with the 300ED lens. For that, I use a 4 series Gitzo and a 5-series Gitzo head, again with no problems. My large Gitzo has no centre column and it is so tall that I normally extend the thinnest legs only a bit (it has 3 leg sections, or two extensible ones). Something a bit lighter would probably work just as well, but the 2-series is not enough.

Steve

The longest lens that I anticipate owning & using in the near future (next 2-3 years) will be the 400mm f4 ED(IF), although it's more likely to be the S-M-C Takumar 400mm f4 lens..I'd like to own, & could see myself using, the S-M-C Takumar 600mm f4 lens, but other lens purchases will come before this lens, unless an incredible deal somehow falls into my lap..

The Giottos MT9360 weighs in at 5.5 lbs..The maximum weight is 17.6 lbs..I originally purchased it because it is of the swiveling center column design, which I felt might come in handy for low-level & macro photography..So far I have not used this feature of the tripod very much..It is the swiveling joints on the MT 9360 that I thought might be problematic for using it with the Pentax 67II..

Thanks, Bruce

The aluminum MT9360 at 5.5 lbs is just too light to carry either of the 400mm lenses and would be marginal for the 300 ED. If you stay with aluminum, I suggest getting something in the 10 lb range. I own a 7 lb Gitzo(320) and a 10 lb Bogen(3036). The lighter Gitzo is for the shorter lenses and the Bogen for the longer ones. The 600 is a pain to use, both because of the chromatic aberration at wider apertures and the tripod stability issue. See my Field Test on this lens if interested.

Thanks Steve

I have read all of your lens reviews, as well as those concerning Pentax medium format cameras & lenses at Luminous Landscape..

New people like me certainly appreciate all the time & work that you & others have put in in order to post so much useful information here on PN..

Thanks again..

Bruce

Bruce, I've used the Kirk L-brackets for both the Pentax 67 and 67II, and found both to be valuable in using these cameras for vertical/portrait orientation. Their biggest benefit is in ease of use(not having to flop a tripod head over), and maintaining approx. the same height as a horizontal orientation. I have had good experiences with maintaining sharpness with these brackets, especially when used vertically, and even with shutter speeds in the range of 1/2 to 1/30 sec. Regards, Lee

Thank You Lee !!

This is what I needed to know..Very little has been posted on PN regarding the Kirk L-bracket..Since the long arm of the bracket is unsupported I was curious to know if the dreaded Pentax 67 vibration issues affected the camera any more than the usual when using the bracket in portrait mode..You have answered that for me..

Thanks again..

Bruce